Dual mass flywheels

I have an 02 diesel Mondeo. While my wife was away with it for a few days she said it made a bit of a rumble when she pressed the clutch pedal. I tried it when she got back and so it did. But I've been driving it around today and it's as right as rain. I've no experience of dual mass flywheels, but I have of clutches and it seems to me that this is not a clutch problem but, maybe, something to do with the DM flywheel.

My question to those who are experienced in these things is - does this sound like a DM flywheel issue?

And if so, does the final gasp come quickly at an inconvenient time, or can it be nursed if necessary?

Ta.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

Sounds like imminent DMF failure to me. Get it done, don't be driving it unless you like your bills to be large [1] and painful.

[1] Yes, I mean 'much larger than the £500 for a new clutch, DMF etc...'
Reply to
Pete M

Thought it was around £1k-£1.2k for a new clutch + DMF? That's the sort of figure thrown about online when people raises the question of replacing them.

David Hearn

Generally Ford DMFs gradually fail. Usual early signs are a rattle/knocking when starting/stopping the engine, which then gradually progresses into a rumble/bad engine vibration that will make the whole vehicle vibrate.

Reply to
moray

That's usually the price if you leave it long enough and it disintegrates taking part of the gearbox housing with it.

Do it early enough and it's just the cost of the parts and the labour... saying that some cars can be a right mare to split the gearbox and engine in situ so that adds to the cost e.g. Pug 307 which I believe is usually an engine out job for this.

Reply to
Chris Dugan