Power steering whine

2005 Focus 2.0 TDCi.

Over the past couple of days I've been getting a high pitched whine when I turn sharp right at low speeds. It doesn't make any noise when turning left. The noise is identical to the one in this youtube clip:-

I've not been able to check the power steering fluid level yet as on this model its a sealed for life, no maintenance required item. I know where the reservoir is but I'll have to remove some covers to get to it so its a job for the weekend. Assuming the levels are fine it would be nice to know if the problem was with the rack or the pump?

TIA

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The power steering fluid resevoir is to the left when you stand in front and open the bonet :) ..I'm sure its on this model and accessible without removing any covers. Perhaps I could be wrong.

Possible problems and bear in mind I'm not an expert rack, pump (bearings in the pump can go I believe), cv joint, bearing ?, worn belt or pulley on the pump, but also worth getting the suspension components checked to make sure nothing is rubbing like the tyre on anything, seen that happen before, a simple job like getting the tracking doe sorted it. But this is just a few things to think about.

My advice would be to get it diagnosed at a garage and then depending how handy you are fix it yourself or let them do the hard work :)

Reply to
Jeff

In message , Jeff writes

Not on the post 05 models. I know where it is and its definitely not accessible from under the bonnet. Like I said, its supposed to be a non-maintenance item.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Fair enough I stand correct :)

Reply to