ECU's & Learning mode

I have noticed a few replies that mention disconnecting the battery to force the ECU into learning mode ... I have a Rover 75 Classic SE 2.0 Diesel which I bought second hand. I have been running the car for about 4,000 of its recorded 48,000 miles. Would there be any advantage in putting the ECU into learning mode to adapt to my style of driving or does it continually adjust itself over a period of time ?

Regards & TIA

Reply to
sa3214

No, yes.

Reply to
SimonJ

Its not so much your style of driving- its more the engine characteristics which the ECU learns- idle parameters and igntion timing etc.

So in your case, no advantage.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Certainly they do adapt to driving style - my V6 was different after I had 6 weeks in the US and handed it to a colleague to use. As for the Volvo it adjusts its boost curve and the autobox adjusts its shift pattern according to the last few days usage.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Pah that's nothing! Kermit interrogates my Palm to see where I'm going and how late I am, adjusts parameters, even before I've even turned the ignition key! :p

Reply to
DervMan