Emergency Key starts engine ?

Fiesta Y reg. I tried the emergency key (key with small T shape handle) in the ignition last week. Not only did the key turn but the engine started. I thought that the emergency key only operated the door locks mechanically and couldn't be used to start the engine. Am I wrong or is there something wrong with the immobiliser? The Red LED in the clock bezel flashes ok when the car is locked and parked.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Dave

was this key on the same keyring as the normal key? was this key used straight after the normal key started the engine? if there was a fault then the light would flash like mad during turning into the crank position should'nt start tho...

Reply to
ford_technical_

Dave wrote on Tue, 14 Feb 2006 14:30:48 GMT:

Before I lost that key, it worked all the locks (doors, boot, ignition), but as you said, wouldn't start the engine as the immobiliser stayed on. So no, it shouldn't start the engine.

Wait until the immobiliser light starts flashing before trying the small key, and ensure there are no proper keys in the vicinity of the keyhole.

Reply to
David Taylor

Yes the emergency key is on the same keyring as the normal key. Yes the emergency key was used straight after the normal key started the engine.

Should the emergency key be able to start the engine?

Thanks

Reply to
Dave

Well there you go then. The chipped key only has to be within about 4-6 inches of the igntion for the ECU to recognise it, so no wonder the engine started!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Many thanks, I should have thought of that myself.

Reply to
Dave