Engine oil in Gearbox.

Is there any strong reason not to use engine oil in a gearbox?

Will it damage the gearbox oil seal(s)?

I've just replaced a driveshaft in my car and can't be bothered to drive to Halfords to buy gearbox oil.

Reply to
toad

Gearbox oil is made complete differently. It has a built in resistance to have the molecules of the oil torn apart. The action of the gears meshing together can literally tear the molecules of the oil to bits and hence decrease the oils "slipperiness". This is why old Minis need regular oil changes as their gearbox is in the sump. An engine oil will work, just not for anything like as long I would imagine.

Reply to
gazzafield

Depends on the gearbox.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Rover 416, Honda Engine, manual.

S'only got to last one year.

Reply to
toad

engine oil will be fine in that one

Reply to
mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "toad" saying something like:

Thousands (millions) of bikes use it and if it's only for a ShiteOldCar you're throwing away then ok.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Engine oil was specced for gearbox use in a honda accord I used to have.

Reply to
adder1969

Try 3in1

Reply to
Marvin

Marvin wrote in news:MKadnTbkV5L snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

But that's for sewing machines !! :-)

Reply to
Tunku

same here 10/40 in prelude box, 'praps you should have caught the old stuff that came out in a clean container !!

Reply to
mr p

Basic box oil is super cheap - why scrimp?

Reply to
Coyoteboy

He 'can't be bothered'.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Plenty of cars with separate boxes used engine oil. Pretty well all BMC products. These days ATF is more common.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In fact on checking the Haynes it turns out the the 416 uses 10w40 engine oil rather than gearbox oil anyway. So there's no issue.

Interesting. From the smell I'm pretty sure gearbox oil came out.

Reply to
toad

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "toad" saying something like:

PO probably thought it was ok to use it. Istr some engine-oil 'boxes object if hypoid gear oil is used. The material of the baulk rings, iirc.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Turns out it was - gearbox is fine.

Reply to