Citroen ZX 1.4i started running a little bit rough

Citoen ZX 1.4i pzazz L reg 41,000 miles (believed genuine)

bought the above car for the missus recently, ran fine, good MPG.

after our/it's first run up the motorway, 80 mile round trip, it's startred to run a bit rough. nothing major, just doesn't seem to be firing quite right.

in the past I've had similar problems relate to worn points or a worn dizzy, a slight delay between pedal and power if you know what I mean.

I've checked the plugs and they are as clean as I would expect, right colour etc, one of the HT leads has a bit of corrosion in it's cap (near side cyliner, plug end) so that will be replaced tomorrow.

I'm used to driving a diesel so I'm used to using the torque of the motor rather than the revs and I did notice a slight missfire / microstall when I was rounding a corner in 3rd when I ought to have been in 2nd but I put that down to me expecting too much torque from a little 1.4. maybe!

it's due for a service anyway but I'm wondering if there's anyone in here with any experience of ZX ignition systems and their foibles. like I say, it's not running too rough, from past experience of old school non injection motors I get the impression that the points need a clean / reface with a bit of emery cloth and resetting to the correct gap but obviously not in this case.

any ideas & much obliged.

Tony

Reply to
TK

Replace the leads as a set. Should solve your problem, sounds very much like dodgy leads. No pont replacing just one as if one is faulty they are all on the way out, and there won't necassarily be anything visibly wrong with them.

Reply to
Robert R News

The message from Robert R News contains these words:

Not always true. Some designs route leads so that one or two get hotter or wetter or more vibrated or more weathered or more oily than others, so some may be fine.

Reply to
Guy King

Yeah but then is it better to just buy a new set, or buy a single lead, drive home, fit it, then discover that it's still not running right and go and buy the rest of the set anyway? It's hardly a major expense.

In any case replacing them will eliminate the most likely source of the problem and make diagnosis easier if it persists.

Reply to
Robert R News

aye, was going to get a set and I should have typed 'they' instead of 'it'

I don't have a manaual for a petrol ZX as yet, I have one for a diesel, but as I understand it that thing sat atop the distributor isn't a contact points housing rather some sort of coil ?

I've had diesels and motorbikes for the last 15 years but this little petrol car was just too good a bargain to miss. previously, any coil problems I've had on bikes have manifested themselves as the coil breaking down at high revs.

the ZX feels like the spark isn't fat enough right across the rev range if you get my meaning. here's hoping the bargain isn't a lemon...

Tony

Reply to
TK

I have the same problem? Citroen ZX 1.4i Pzazz L reg 141,000 miles I replaced leads and plugs. Checked plugs and sockets on the computer. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Greg