Escort 1.8i zetec sudden death

My trusty never-let-me-down Escort has let me down :-(

The car has been starting and running fine. Then the other day, I went to start, turned the key, it fired for a fraction of a second then died. Turned the key again, starter turning fine, but not a hint of firing.

When the ignition is first turned on I can hear the fuel pump priming for a couple of seconds as normal. I removed an ignition lead, stuck an old plug on the end and got a lovely strong spark when the key is turned.

I even put a lamp on the EECIV connector just in case but all that told me was "coolant temperature out of range". You don't say?! It's fecking freezing out there!!

At this point I came indoors cos my hands had gone solid in the cold. Can anyone save me further hypothermia by pointing me in possible right directions? It's a 1.8 zetec engine of classic 1995 vintage.

Cheers,

al

***
Reply to
stupidworld

In message , stupidworld writes

I would start by trying the other 3 leads for a spark. If the coil pack has gone down it will take out two cylinders.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

"stupidworld" wrote in message news:43fc7a04$0$25682$ snipped-for-privacy@titian.nntpserver.com...

check the cambelt.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yes, I'll try this, although I'd have expected at least some attempt at firing if 2 cylinders were still working? There's not so much as a "pop", just a whiring starter. It is engaging, BTW.

Reply to
stupidworld

I was hoping that wasn't the answer!

The cambelt was changed about 10K miles back, but thinking about it when I turn the engine over, the starter does seem to turn without much effort, almost like there's no compression, which I guess is just how it would feel if the valves weren't closing. And that would explain how it went from working fine one minute to totally dead the next.

Oh dear! :-(

Reply to
stupidworld

Paul Giverin wrote in news:VpRkolAwdI$DFwuP@10.0.0.3:

The ECU should be programmed to expect cold temperatures for starting up. Perhaps it is indicating a fault with the temperature sensor? With a faulty sensor, it may well default to a fuelling level appropriate for a warm engine, thus causing difficulty in staring from cold.

Reply to
Stu

Phew! Just checked, cambelt is OK.

Reply to
stupidworld

Timing belt?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Is timing belt definately ok- not stripped teeth off around Crank sprocket ???

Check the cams actually turn by looking in through oil filler cap! - the cam sprockets are not keyed and i've known them come loose- 1 bolt- friction drive.

Esp as you've had a new belt recently...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Reply to
a.n.other

Could be a fuel pump, just because it makes a noise, doesn't mean it pumps enough fuel. Could be a vacuum hose broken, manifold gasket, spark tracking down the outside of the plug / plugs or coil lead. This is a common fault with the zetec engine. Could be your spark plugs, also worked hard by the zetec engine.

***

Reply to
a.n.other

depends on the car, most are now fired by a crank sensor rather than having a rotor arm or distributor, in this case it IS one where you will have sparks if the crank turns.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Brain before fingers- ignition primary is triggered from a flywheel mounted sensor in the case of the Zetec (and more other engines for that matter these days)

It'll still spark whether the cams are turning or not.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Fuel pump and or fuel pump relay yes, but the OP states it seemed to be spinning over faster than normal.

Could be a vacuum hose broken, manifold gasket, spark tracking

You'd get a splutter or eventual start though.

Could be your spark plugs, also worked hard by the

Yup. See above.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"stupidworld" wrote in message news:43fc7a04$0$25682$ snipped-for-privacy@titian.nntpserver.com...

Slipping cam belt, loose cam wheel, or (fairly rare) sticking valves can all cause spinning over easier than normal. My bet is the cambelt or the cambolts are loose. (either will probably have lunched the engine)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Mine too.