Escort front suspension

I've just bought an 98 Escort, I didn't notice it at first but after a while I noticed it has a noisy front suspension over sharp bumps ? now its starting to bug me.

The garage I bought it from put a years MOT on the car, even though it already had a six month MOT from the previous garage. Its had two MOT's this year, from two different garages, so you'd think what ever the problem is, it can't be major.

Normally the suspension is quiet, but speed bumps, or bumps in the road that cause the front suspension to deflect quickly, result in a popping sound from the front. You can feel it a bit through the wheel. Otherwise the car handles well.

It's kinda like the car has no rebound damping and the suspension is hitting the stops, I don't' think that can be right, but thats the feel I get in the car. Although, as I say, handling is good.

Reply to
thedeerhunter270

Most likely worn bottom ball joint, if so get two new genuine arms and retracked.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Going by your description of "Popping" I reckon Antiroll bar bushes or linkages,but it could be loads of things? Best you go and have it looked at!

Reply to
Mill Autos

anti roll bar bushes wouldn't be felt through the wheel, but would be heard

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Anti roll bar bushes did cross my mind. When the front wheels hit a bump together, like a speed hump, the noise is not as evident as it is if its either one side or the other hits a bump.

Are Anti roll bar bushes easy to changes, and are they checked in the MOT?

Reply to
thedeerhunter270

Oddly enough the mot doesn't check them, I have often taken in late escorts with noisy a/r bushes, but they pass. The bushes at the inner end do wear, they are tricky to change as the bolt head is very close to the body, you really need to drop the rear of the cross member, you can do this without disconnecting everything and just lower it enough to get the rear a/r bolt out.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful