Exhaust fixing?

Hi all My exhaust was "blowing" on my old 94 reg Rover 214si so I took it to the garage and got a new back box (it was wrecked). After fitting the part the fitter showed me a hole in the pipe of the middle section of the exhaust just near the end where it is connected by bolts to the end piece. He said that filler just came out when he tried to seal it.

Question: Is there any cheap way I can fix this hole without paying for a new middle section of the exhaust?

Reply to
Skint4sure

-- Welder

Reply to
DuncanWood

I know the exact problem. A welded patch is the best way to repair, but probably the rest of the pipe is the same. A cheap centre section should only be about 30 quid. A temporary bodge can be done with a repair kit using a sort of gungum mat and a couple of jubilee clips or even a bean can , gungum and jubilee clips.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Not unless ou want to keep getting it fixed every week or so. If there's holes in it the entire section will be rotten. Welding, patching etc are just going to be a waste of time and money.

Reply to
Rob

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

Last time I did a "temporary" bodge like that it lasted another 40,000 miles.

Reply to
Guy King

Once spent ages cutting out a piece of steel to weld over an end plate cos the 'only' thing wrong was the tail pipe hade come away from the back box. Got a mate to weld it in place. MOT-er put hand over exhaust to check for leaks - repair was great but the silencer body split :-(

Reply to
ph12

or even a bean can

Will a Kit-E-Kat tin do? I don't eat beans.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

The message from "Robin Graham" contains these words:

No, you might damage the cat.

Reply to
Guy King

You eat KiteKat, instead...?

Reply to
Allan Bennett

Hmmm.... That's two factual incidents I have posted in two days. Each time someone has taken it upon themselves to insinuate that I am being less than truthful. While you are free to disbelieve any posting I would appreciate the courtesy of not being called a liar when you don't even know me.

Is it the way I type them?

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

Can't see that it was the bodge that was at fault - if it was leaking there then it would have been much the same without the bodge as with.

Reply to
Guy King

Point is that the 'bodge' fell off while I was tanking down an autobahn in Germany. Sheer bad luck (though normal for me) that the hot gasses played where they did. Anywhere else or at lower speeds I would likely have got away with it.

One good thing about military airfields. You have always got a fire crew close at hand.

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Vin" saying something like:

This is usenet - ninety percent of everything is bollocks. As to you being a bullshit artist; as you say, I don't know you well enough to know that you're not. As far as the Renault story goes; I've seen something similar, but the other way round - a Hillman Hunter marked clearly for export but sold in the UK - that car was a total dog.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Then you should do me the courtesy of not assuming I am. I equally do not know you well enough to know you are not a total prat but would not dream of making a public assumption of such.

A little more common courtesy and maybe usenet would contain less 'bollocks' (to use your vernacular).

Well I actually saw the Renault so if there IS an urban legend maybe it started there.

Still... This has little (nothing actually) to do with car maintenance so for my part the thread ends here.

Live long and well,

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

You call that old!!!!

Hahahahahahah!!!

I'm removing the back box from my car, as the two pipes going into it are just starting to tear away. A little bit of welding will suffice here.

Now how come my exhaust has lasted 17 years, yet a rover exhaust a mere

10???

Ain't there a difference between proper cars and disposable cars.

Reply to
SDD

Quite agree. My 88 reg Carlton was finally retired last month. Never considered it as 'old'. Body, mechanics and interior were immaculate for its age (unlike me) but sadly the chassis had rotted beyond economic repair (rather like me) in the suspension areas.

Mind you... I never made an exhaust last that long. What was it? Stainless steel? Titanium? Or that stuff they use to shield the warp drives on USS Enterprise?

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

Maybe he's old ;)

Reply to
Stuffed

Your message would indicate otherwise. You did get rather excited.

I rather enjoyed your message actually. I previously stated I was too courteous to make a public assumption of you being a total prat. When, behold, you post public proof of the fact.

I no longer have to make any assumptions as you clearly demonstrate yourself to be of low intelligence, low in self control and with a poor capacity for the English vocabulary. Seems pretty close to being a total prat to me.

You may wish to make another Neanderthalic outburst in response but, apart from salving your own misguided feelings of self-importance, will have no effect. You have nothing to say, now or in the future, that I would be interested in. In future your posting will be blocked - hence I will not see them

I still wish that you live long and well.

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Vin" saying something like:

Lovely. Thanks for that.

My word, it's fun hooking pompous prats.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I sure am. You don't need teeth for Kit-E-Kat.

Rob

Reply to
Robin Graham