Rover 400 exhaust

My car (1997 Rover 400 GSi 2.0i) just had to have new exhaust rear and middle sections (the rear was blowing badly and the middle section was a bit of a mess so I got both done).

The replacement exhaust is obviously some 3rd party part, ie. whatever the garage could get their hands on today. The problem with it is it seems a bit long. The previous exhaust stuck out only a tiny bit through the gap in the bumper. This one protrudes by several inches and looks daft. Is it safe to take a hack saw to it and chop some of the length off?

Also, it does not have a chrome end piece surrounding the end. I wasn't too bothered about this as the end-piece on the previous exhast was a bit shabby, but actually it could do with a new one as it looks weedy without it. Are these chrome pieces standard on the original Rover fitted exhausts? Looking at other cars like mine I notice they've all got them....

Reply to
Andrew

Tony

I guess I shouldn't complain then as my middle and back sections cost £88 all in :) I'll pop to Halfords tomorrow and buy one of those screw-on chrome pieces to finish the job. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Andrew

My memory of Chrome tailpipes, the better half had a Mini (20yrs ago!) went to quickfit and they gave her an after market chrome pipe (she refused the try on new tyre + shocks!) , Because they collect mud etc, before the guarantee had expired the chrome bit + tailpipe had fallen off! so another brand new exhaust was fitted (including a new chrome tailpipe.... do they never learn!!) , Its rarely I ever thanked quickfit for anything! I wouldn't advise fitting one.

Des

Reply to
Des

if it protrudes too far its probably the wrong part, although it will fit, and obviously its on there, it is probably designed for the saloon, i am assuming you have the hatchback, having said that its perfectly safe to chop the end off although it might affect any warranty you have on the exhaust. many aftermarket exhausts we use will still have a chrome end if the original had one, more reasons to believe it was the wrong part fitted. steve.

Reply to
someone

Reply to
Tony

Yep, you are right, I have the hatchback (which I specifically sought out in GSi form because I think it looks nicer/more sporty than the saloon, although most other people seem to prefer the saloon).

To be honest I think it's more that it's a cheap part rather than the wrong part. Going off what someone else said on here this one was reasonably cheap at 88 quid for the middle and rear sections.

Reply to
Andrew

It was a local independant garage.

Reply to
Andrew

its probably either a Timax or a Walker, in which case it should still have a chrome tail section on the end,

Reply to
someone