Exhorbitant petrol prices

Plus by plane for four people is 1600, train 300, car still £65. Even if you took total costs of the car into consideration it's still likely to be less than 50p/mile, the 500 mile round trip at 250 quid is still cheaper than the train or plane for four people. On your own it's less of a bargain...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Unless that includes aberdeen.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Last time I flew from Inverness to Birmingham my *luggage* went via Amsterdam. I didn't. :-(

Reply to
PC Paul

heh - organise mass drive offs - everyone fills up at 12:00 and drives off together

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Ahh yes Inverness, INV... my colleagues luggage ended up in INN on my last trip (that's innsbruk... (sp))

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

This is where electric vehicles are getting it all wrong.

I reckon what's needed is a thing like one of those little Vauxhall Rascal vans. 40 mile range would be more than enough, max speed of 60mph would be fine, three rows of double seats, back two pairs removeable. In effect, much like a miniature electric Espace. Charging time, perhaps two hours, so if you've been out all morning going here there and everywhere you can still get it recharged in time for the afternoon school run[2].

The target market would be the second car/carryall area. It'd be ideal for the school run[1], nipping up to the shops, running the dog to the vet, that sort of thing. Most cars have far higher performance than they need for tootling round town or to the local village. If you need anything more, you take the other car.

[1] OK, so I know there's going to be people for whom it wouldn't be suitable, but look at the use to which vast numbers of things like elderly Fiestas and 205s get put and this'd be a great replacement. [2] Actually, we don't do a school run, both kids have always walked to school.
Reply to
Guy King

Raymond....

Obviously you've not got a clue where petrol comes from and neither has the f****it who came up with the scheme.

In order to achieve the above, you'd have to make sure you didn't buy any petrol that came from Shell/Esso refineries. Problem is, its not only Shell tankers that fill up there but Asda, Tesco, Esso, BP - all of the brands in the area.

So for your idea to work, nobody in the North West of England would have to buy any petrol from anywhere in that area for a year because it all comes out of Shells refinery at Stanlow.

Reply to
Conor

Yet another f****it who doesn't understand supply chains.

Clue dumbass - the petrol companies don't own the petrol stations.

Reply to
Conor

Leaving the poor bastard retailer to cop for it. The petrol companies will make the retailers pay for the fuel.

Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Actually, a lot do seem to be owned centrally by the petrol companies themselves.

Reply to
Adrian

OK I bite: What ways are less dirty? Nuclear energy? What about transmission efficiencies? Or just buy energy from France?

When are planes subsidised? There are taxes for the privilege of taking off and landing called "security tax".

Most travelling is done around cities where public transport is available and subsidised. They very nature of say London encourages people to live away form the centre and commute in and out. It's laughable it's cost effective to commute from Swindon into London. Reduce subsidises and you get less commuting. QED

Agree encourage people to move or work from home.

Reply to
Fred

In message , Fred writes

The duty on aviation fuel is much less than the duty on fuel for road vehicles. It could be said that it amounts to a subsidy.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

?? The duty on fuel for buses is even lower. Trains don't pay any duty on fuel either. I see there IS duty on aviation fuel though.

Reply to
Fred

In message , Fred writes

No it isn't.

I think they do albeit a nominal amount.

No there isn't.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

You mean 'hexorbintant' don't you?

By the way BP isn't part of the middle east oil cartel is it? So why can't it undercut their prices?

Reply to
Mark W

For internal flights - are you sure?

Reply to
Fred

In message , Fred writes

Yes.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

And after a while they'd knock it on the head, leaving the petrol companies with lots of fuel they can't sell :)

Hellraiser..........>

Reply to
Hellraiser

A lorry driver calling me a f****it? Least my knuckles don't catch on the ground when I leave the car. So, all these Esso, BP and Shell garages are owned by who exactly?

Hellraiser............>

Reply to
Hellraiser

If there were buses covering more routes at reasonable prices then more people would use them or trains or trams. The bus fare from my house to Cheltenham costs about £1.50 or there about and it's only 6 miles. Plus to add insult to injury, you can't get a return before 9am so most commuting is done at about double the cost available to shoppers.

I can't get a train to Bristol where I work, at a reasonable time, nor a bus either, so I have to use the car. A bus doing 8 mpg would only have to carry

6 people to make it more cost effective than my car.
Reply to
Malc