petrol stations - prices

Why is BP always more expensive than other brands of petrol? It is in Scotland anyway. I am currently working in Grangemouth which is 27 miles from Edinburgh and it is the home of the BP refinery that covers the central Scotland area. They only have BP petrol stations there and they are both 3p per litre more expensive than most Shell petrol stations. WHY???

Reply to
Marvin

They're not selling the same shit as they're having problems with in the South East ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I can't answer your question. As for cheap unleaded petrol in and around Grangemouth, you may find this website interesting:

?search=Grangemouth

Reply to
Lin Chung

because thay can. We recently toured Scotland and were amazed at prices, fluctuating within a dozen or so miles from 99/ltr to 112/ltr. The highest we saw was in a BP near the Skye bridge at 114/ltr. BP charge more, in my opinion, because thay are in no competition in most places. They can get away with it. If they did it in English towns they would soon be shut.

Reply to
bigjon

You think the UK's bad. I'm currently working in Norway, and whilst walking to work past a petrol station the other morning I looked at the price and did a quick mental calculation to see how it comapred to back home.

That afternoon, going back to the hotel, it was around 8p/litre cheaper. - must have misread it this morning thinks I.

So next day, looked again at same times, and yes they ramp up the price in the morning rush and drop it again off peak!

Can you imagine a UK filling station trying that one?

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

( snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes.

Reply to
Adrian

I`d actually prefer it, as it`d mean I got my diesel more cheaply! I can see why they`d do it - supply and demand etc :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

I would like that. Get your petrol when it's quiet and cheap.

Reply to
Marvin

Same sort of thing in Australia. The prices go up on a Tuesday as that's the day benefits are paid out. Or that's what I was told when I asked as to why a given station's prices seemed to fluctuate by the hour.

As regards why does BP charge more. As has been said, because they can. Simple market forces. More competition and the price goes down. Get in the back of beyond and you're the only station for 50 miles, they'll charge a lot more. The asking price of any product has nothing to do with its cost of manufacture. A seller will charge the maximum the market can stand. If that is so low they don't make sufficient profit, they pull out.

BobC

Reply to
BobC

But edinburgh is not the back of beyond. There are loads of petrol stations in edinburgh but BP are the most expensive.

Reply to
Marvin

In which case you've got a choice.

Reply to