Petrol Prices

I've just returned from holiday in the island of Margarita (off the Venezuelan coast) and after catching up on the news, found that petrol here is to have another 2p in tax added from October 1st - probably breaking the £1 a litre barrier.

Well, just to add insult to injury, the cost of petrol on Margarita is 3p (yes 3 pence) a litre and the island is also free of road tax and other duties - along with allowing any wreck of a car to be used on its roads (and that includes taxis and buses).

Mind you, mineral water for drinking is around a thousand times dearer than petrol and a million Bolivar (the islands currency) is worth around £240.....

Reply to
Redolent

Yeah well that's what happens when successive Governments bleed the motorist dry by adding taxes galore

Redman

Reply to
Redman

Was still 94.9p at Sainsbury's outside Guildford yesterday.

Reply to
Hooch

Be 96.9 today then.

Reply to
gazzafield

Probably, unless they absorb some of the price increase themselves.

Reply to
Hooch

Probably, unless they absorb some of the price increase themselves.

Reply to
Dutchman

The beer might be, but petrol prices in Belgium and Holland are apparently even higher than ours.

quoted text -

Reply to
Hooch

The beer might be, but petrol prices in Belgium and Holland are apparently even higher than ours.

I've heard that Holland has been the equivalent of over £1 a litre for some time now. I was in Sweden in the summer and petrol was in the high 80's pence then. Not a huge difference, but cheaper. The difference I saw was that diesel was much cheaper. Some places I saw it was about the high 60's pence for diesel.

Reply to
gazzafield

Apparently. And Belgium is not too far behind. Yet a few years ago, Belgium had cheaper petrol than France.

Seems to be the case on most of the mainland.

Reply to
Hooch

I think the same day the increase was announced here on the BBC News website, an article on the same page mentioned a reporters' travelogue in Bolivia (possibly Venuzuela) where petrol was 3p per litre.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

A 2p tax increase means a 2.35p pump price increase!

This is another con as the tax is still subject to VAT.

I own a petrol station and I will obviously have to pass on the tax/ VAT increase but the price of petrol typically drops around this time.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gordon Brown timed the increase at a time when pump prices would have dropped by a couple of pence!

So far I have been able to avoid putting my prices up as the cost of fuel to me dropped by 2.1p on Monday.

The sad thing is that this will look like petrol stations are absorbing the increase from their massive profits when we make very little money on fuel. Certainly not enough to absorb 2.5p. We make our money in the shop!

Alan

Reply to
Alan

Reply to
alastair.taylor

Oil company and govt. (isn't that _really_ obvious? Ever made the connection between "record profits for BP/Shell" and what you're paying for fuel?)

clive

Reply to
Clive George

Chris