Few MOT Questions

1) Can a tyre be failed if it has more than the legal requirement of tred and no other defects. The reason i ask is cos my girlfriend had one of hers failed and it has about 2mm above the the wear indicators all the way across the tyre.

2) When you underseal your car and cover brake pipes/fittings etc does the inspecter have to clean it off to see the condition underneat.

3) Do oyou need a spare tyre to pass an mot.

Thanks

Reply to
Rob Kirk

1) The tyre must have something wrong with it, maybe it's a split or cut that you can only see with the car up on ramps? 2) With plastic trim and covers that are supposed to be there, the inspector can't remove them to look underneath. But if the car is excessively dirty, they can refuse to test it and possibly covering things with underseal would be seen as trying to conceal faults. 3) I don't think so! But then, they always open the boot and have a butchers, don't they?
Reply to
Mark W

3) You don't need a spare for the mot but if you have one it must be in a roadworthy condition that why they look.
Reply to
Andrew Carr

He failed the tyre for having too little tread. He also suggested she also replace the other front tyre which isnt even half worn.

Reply to
Rob Kirk

They don't sell tyres by any chance, do they?

Reply to
SteveH

ISTR being told that you don't have to have one, but if you do it must be in adequate condition to pass if it were fitted.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

I've never had a problem with stuff covered in underseal - and I regularly (like once a year) liberally empty 2 aerosol cans of Waxoyl over the floorpan of my cars.

To save hassle - just take the spare out. However, it's not suppposed to be a testable item, AFAIK.... my Spider passed it's MOT with the original 20-odd year old, split, blistered and bald spare still in the boot.

Reply to
SteveH

Reply to
Rob Kirk

If you are *sure* the tyre is legal you could appeal the failure. You would need to contact the local Vehicle Inspectorate, and be sure not to get anything changed or fixed until the vehicle is re-inspected. Other than tread depth, damage, cracking/splitting of sidewall etc, other possible problems could be incorrect mounting (directional tyre crossed to wrong side, asymmetric tyre mounted incorrectly) illegal combination on axle(different profile/section/construction on each side) and a few other things which are likely to be very obvious, but the fault should be stated on the VT30 form.

Reply to
Bob Davis

Rob Kirk ( snipped-for-privacy@codel.freeserve.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The tester's manual, so you can see *exactly* what's what.

Reply to
Adrian

Try this site, very informative. Dave

Reply to
DC

If you think you were unfairly treated there is a complaints procedure.

bill

Reply to
Bill