MOT Tyre Valves

My car has just failed it's MOT on *very* lightly scored tyre valves. Basically the (OE) wheel trims have slightly scored the valves on fitting.

Is this fair? There's simply no way the light scoring (literaly under

0.02mm) could cause a blow out and the trims haven't been off since the last MOT so they must have been scored then.

Appealing over 40 quid (ish) seems silly *but* I get the feeling the bloke couldn't find anything wrong and just wanted to arse me about or make a few quid. (He was certainly suprised when I took it away to get it done elsewhere...)

So shuold each valve be unmarked to pass an MOT?

Reply to
DannyBoy

Section 4.1 Tyres 1(d) a seriously damaged or misaligned valve stem which could cause sudden deflation of the tyre.

Regards, Graham L

Regards, Graham L

Graham

If in the opinion of the tester it is giving serious danger, then yes it is a failure. If this is genuinely as you say then go back and ask for form VT17 and appeal.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

They were swinging the lead! It's not even remotely likely to cause sudden deflation.

Reply to
DannyBoy

Anyone ver appealed? i did once when a garage in Sheffield failed it on at least 10 things and said it was a danger on the highway, got it inspected next day, full pass and the tester got a right kicking. Several years ago now, only done due to coppers trying to give me 3 points saying my car was dangerous, which got thrown out when the inspector said it was legal.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Just for the hell of it go back to the garage and ask for form VT17. Then watch his face, that should tell you if his having a laugh at your expense.

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

i agree.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

My old man's asked for an appeal form. The mechanic immediately retracted the fail. (Alleged bent frame on a bike... Needless to say it wasn't bent and nobody since has suggested ohtewise.)

I'm not gonna appeal. The guy made no effort to check the steering and I know there's a 50/50 tracking rod end - the last thing i want is a proper MOT.

My plan is to put the spare on one side, talk to the guy's boss (who will be doing the retest) show him the valves and simply ask *him* if he reckon's the valve is ok.

I'd be amazed if he will claim the light scoring is 'serious damage likely to cause deflation'...

He didn't open the bonnet so he didn't check the master cylinder for leaks...

Will go elsewhere next year. I want an MOT that covers every item it's supposed to but doesn't shaft me over nonsense. Also the guy's *glee* over the failure points was hard to take.

Reply to
DannyBoy

But you'd rather die? What a strange individual.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

So he didnt check for any possible structural problems in ,for example,the inner wings ??? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Or for loose or insecure bonnet, battery, suspension tops, vacuum system, rack gaiters, petrol leaks, etc.etc. And where did he get the vin number if he didn't open the bonnet???

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Such people don't die. They just kill innocent others. Have you never watched those police chase programs where the idiots always come away unscathed from a crash that would kill any descent law abiding person. Divine justice? PAH!!!

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

Floor adjacent to the drivers seat or, on some cars, viewable through the windscreen mounted on the dash.

Bottom line to this though is my disbelief that anyone would knowingly accept such a shoddy MOT test. Let's face it. If he couldn't be bothered to sort out a known steering problem for the MOT test he is unlikely to be in any rush to sort it now.

Vin.

Reply to
Vin

Scratching my head trying to work out how on the one hand you can have "an MOT that covers every item it's supposed to but doesn't shaft me over nonsense" and on the other hand "the last thing i want is a proper MOT" because "I know there's a 50/50 tracking rod end".

Sounds like a touch of hypocrisy.

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

But the number is supposed to be read off the vin plate itself, not the body.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

You ought to be barred from driving. You must be mad.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Not according to the testers manual I reference. It simply says the vehicle must display a VIN which can be either on a plate or on the body. The plate doesn't even HAVE to be under the hood though that is normal. I don't think my current car actually has a VIN on a plate under the hood. One on the chassis and one on the dash. I suspect the laser etched one mounted on the dash negates the need for it to be repeated again elsewhere on another plate. I don't think there is any plate at all under my hood. Vehicle details (paint colour, model, etc) are on a sticker on the drivers door jamb. To dark to go and check now so I'll take a look tomorrow just to confirm it to myself.

On this particular thread the tester seems so inept why should he follow any stipulation of where the VIN should be read from should such stipulation exist? The guy makes his own rules.

Vin (not on a plate)

Reply to
Vin

IU get my bike done at a local Bike MOT, Car MOT and Repair shop, and my Car MOT at the Council Testing Centre... They have no financial advantage in failing you.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Explain?

Reply to
DannyBoy

and my

That's a pretty good idea. Will they be listed in the book?

Reply to
DannyBoy