Fiesta cutting out on full lock?

My missus' Fester sometimes cuts out and stalls when on full lock. What could be causing this? Sounds a bit like the power steering pump playing up to me, but I'm no expert :)

Any advice?

Reply to
Krycek

My missus' Fester sometimes cuts out and stalls when on full lock. What could be causing this? Sounds a bit like the power steering pump playing up to me, but I'm no expert :)

Any advice?

Car is a T reg (1999) 1.25 Zetec.

Reply to
Krycek

there is a sensor in the power steering line that should send a signal to raise the idle speed if the steering demands extra power (your situation) Maybe the plug has fallen off or corroded or the sensor has failed.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Can you tell me what I should look for, and where?

Thanks.

Reply to
Krycek

follow the piping around and look for a sensor that looks like an oil pressure switch (back of the engine IIRC)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Does it idle correctly at all other times? If not then it may be a faulty IACV (common on many vehicles esp. ford) which cannot increase the rpm as it should. Also worth checking for air leaks.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

No, it's right at the front on the left of the car as you face it (offside for a RHD) and very low down. Almost drags the road. It sounds like it has shorted as if it fails open circuit it would have the opposite effect (mine did that and the engine was over-revving all over the place).

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett