Fiesta heater problem

On the contrary - if you switch from fully hot to fully cold it takes

*ages* for cool air to start coming through as it's got to remove all the heat from the roasting heater matrix. A cable-controlled flap mixing cold/hot air is far far quicker - the only heat to shift in this instance is that residual in the ducting.

If this method of control heat output from a hot/cold input was that good then we'd be seeing it all the time in other uses e.g. mixer taps. The fact is we don't - the KISS principle applies.

Besides which, as discussed, the valve is a common failure point and at £50 a pop from a main dealer it's really something you can do without! You don't hear many complaints from people about their... err.. flaps...

-+-+-+-

When going from one extreme to the other, the reason why it takes so long is because of the heat stored in the ventilation system. It absorbs stacks of heat...

Reply to
DervMan

No it's not - the heat absorbed by the ducting and other surroundings will be the same whether it's using the conventional flap system or the quirky Ford affair. The majority of the residual heat is down to the heater matrix being full of boiling hot coolant and yet still being in the path of air.

Mathew

P=2ES. Can you make your newsreader use proper indentations when quoting? The lack of indentation makes it difficult for readers and news clients alike to follow the attributes.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Certainly the Ghia models have aircon from early 1998 Mine (build month June

98) has aircon that works very well, although is a bit of a drag on a 1.25l engine, even with its 75bhp output. Best to turn the aircon off on big hills OTOH it's quite good for a bit of extra engine braking going down them :-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Yebutt straightforward aircon doesn't need to have any electrical control of heating.

WRT hill climbing performance, you will find that the aircon clutch disengages above certain revs to restore full power. If you change down and let it rev (a necessary action with the 1.25!) then the aircon will automatically turn off. This is usually at around 4,000rpm.

The performance of my 1.8 Focus is noticeably reduced when aircon is on; the Fiesta must really struggle!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Not to bad on a 1.4 zetec but noticeable. With ref to my problem, checked the pipes from the engine to the bulkhead and they are roasting. The pipes beyond the control valve are cold so i shall be fitting a new control valve.

Thanks again.

Reply to
monodist

Update, Just bought the control valve from fords in east london, =A333.24 all in, glad i did`nt get it on ebay. Ford mechanic showed me how to fit it, so i`ll get round to it before the weather turns cold. Price dropped because it is such a common problem, they seem to be changing them all the time.

Thanks again.

Reply to
monodist

Control valve fitted and working.

Thanks for all your help.

Dicky.

Reply to
monodist

After replacing the control valve all was ok for a week, now the fan is constantly on and the temp guage is going into the red.

Any suggestions welcome.

Dicky.

Reply to
monodist