Programming a new car battery??

Gentlemen,

I'm hoping it was just a bad dream, but I vaguely recall recently hearing somewhere that as from such and such a date, new car batteries will need to be 'programmed into' the vehicles in which they are fitted. Now my preferences are as follows (in descending order) -

  1. It really was just a bad dream
  2. It's true, but will only apply to new electric vehicles as from 2050 (I'll be dead by then easy)
  3. It's true, and applies to *all* new vehicles from 2030 (I'll
*probably* be dead by then)
  1. It's true and being introduced *this* year, but I die from Coronavirus first.

Anyone know anything about this? They can't be talking about standard 12V lead-acid batteries surely?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It isn't as big a deal as it sounds, or need not be.

Some cars have a charging algorithm which can be adjusted if a different spec battery is fitted. Fit the same spec battery and you should be fine.

I'm not sure which cars, someone mentioned BMWs to me but I expect there are others.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Some cars won't accept a new battery unless you hook it up to a computer to tell it you've fitted it.

All to do with smart charing and start / stop systems.

BMW have been doing it for years now.

Reply to
Steve H

Oh. In that case BMW's been struck off my list of new cars to look at when I'm due to buy a replacement come September. Life's complicated enough already.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That is why I buy second hand. You can look at reliability and user reviews, something you can't do for new.

I also aim for a vehicle model that is being discontinued or undergoing some change, hoping that many of the bugs would have been sorted.

Reply to
Fredxx

It needs to know the capacity of the battery for rather obvious reasons.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Even a like for like replacement? (Same spec.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

Yes, there is a current sensor in series with the negative terminal. It's used to measure the current in/out of the battery and thus its state of charge. Important in the new world of stop/start engines . . . The cars relevant ECU has to be reset otherwise the stop/start wont work.

look here:

here>

kellerman(snot)2007"

I have a new BMW on order (X1 PHEV) - the starter battery is the least of your worries if one of those goes wrong!

Reply to
Steve H

Yes, even like for like.

It works out the battery degredation over time, as Dave has pointed out, it needs to know the capacity and predicted health of your battery - mostly so you can guarantee it will re-start when it stops!

Reply to
Steve H

Ok, thank you.

I'm less than convinced this is an 'improvement' ;-)

Reply to
Brian Reay

I do wonder what difference in fuel economy this makes in the cars concerned.

Reply to
Fredxx

I assume that is behind it all and it is linked to the dreaded ?smart alternator? issue.

The latter crops up in various motorhome forums in relation to charging the leisure batteries in newer motorhomes.

I became aware of the battery programming issue when an acquaintance mentioned he?d had a battery fail in a newish car. He wanted to replace it with a larger capacity one but was warmed about it would need a visit to a dealer etc. I thought he got round it by fitting a like for like replacement but perhaps I am mistaken.

Reply to
Brian Reay

I have seen a manual that mentions charging voltage, where the battery under normal circumstances is held at 90% capacity. And then topped up when the engine is on the 'overrun'.

It seemed a simple criterion of voltage and there are many references to the relationship between terminal voltage and state of charge depending on the chemistry.

In this instance I wouldn't have an issue in putting in place a larger capacity battery.

I would thought the ultimate would be to use the alternator as a motor in a pseudo hybrid capacity if ultimate fuel consumption was the aim.

In many instances the battery tray is limited in size, and the like for like replacement is probably optimum for physical size in terms of price. If one of larger capacity existed I would get that instead.

Reply to
Fredxx

Likely just as much to do with emissions. An engine idling is at its worst for those. So makes sense to switch it off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Devices that can be both motor and generator often combine the worst aspects of both.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Thanks - guessed it had to be something sophisticated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Isn't it all down to detailed design? The integrated motor assist (IMA) unit on Honda hybrids seems pretty good to me. Starter, alternator, and assist motor all in one unit on the crankshaft. Obviously, you want it to be reliable but surely it's better than having an alternator and starter motor hanging off separately, each with their own drive? (My Jazz does have a conventional starter and battery in case the separate battery fails, but only as a backup).

Reply to
newshound

So the car is so smart it can tell how long it's going to be before you take it for another run? Wow! :-D

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If there's one *genuinely* valuable feature I'd like to see introduced (or re-introduced in this case) it's the starting handle. For me that would be a truly useful addition. But sadly it's never going to happen for obvious reasons. :-(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom