My missus is officially tight.

So tight that Tesco pay her to take away food. Last week "happy eggs" on special. Shelf price £1.00 for 6 large eggs, but the per egg price 4.7p

She moaned the per egg price was wrong, they gave her double the difference back. And refunded the eggs. So they cost her nothing, and she had £1.50 in her pocket.

This week, they had gone back upto £1.78 for 6. But the per egg price was 7.4p an egg.

So she did it again. Eggs refunded, and £2.20 difference handed over. Just need them to mis-price some £70 a bottle Champagne now.

Oh well, every little helps.

Reply to
Elder

just take pictures on the camera phone ;)

works all th time for me :)

Reply to
dojjmotorsport

I thought this post was going to be about something else entirely. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It's wrong of you to have a go at her - she isn't tight she is clever. Saved some money there, send her shopping more often. You might be interested in the Martyn Lewis site, one of the forum threads shows how Asda, tesco etc substitute things in peoples shopping! Like a box of tampax substituted for a twix. A steak and kidney pie for an XL jumper and chocolate eggs for real ones.

Reply to
James R

*shudder*
Reply to
SteveH

A tesco assistant tried that with my trolly once. I told him if I catch him stalking again me I'll slap with my gauntlet and take him outside. It is just rude to tamper while I'm still shopping.

Reply to
Elder

They have what we need, have better opening hours than the Asda and sainsburys and make more sense than waste petrol going all the way across town to the Morissons. Plus they pay us to take food away. We do tend to shop more in Lidl and Aldi though, because I generally put quality over brand. But for day to day stuff Tesco is cheaper/better stocked/more available.

Reply to
Elder

Why? Do the same branded items taste different from other supermarkets?

Reply to
Conor

Stuff like meat, fish and fresh veg. (strange concepts for you northerners, I know.....) are s**te quality and farmed using unethical, intensive farming methods.

The customer demographic is only half an IQ point above the knuckle draggers in Asda, too.

That's two very good reasons why I don't use the Tesco which is only 2 mins away by car.

Reply to
SteveH

Considering the majority of the above is actually pulled out of the ground, sea and fields from around here, its less of a strange concept than it is to you.

Sources of food being something else SteveH knows f*ck all about.

What intensive farming methods do you imagine are going on? How do you know the food you buy hasn't come from the same sources? After all, a Chicken Kiev sold in M&S rolls off the same production line as a Chicken Kiev sold at Tesco.

Reply to
Conor

That's not tight. I know someone whose wife has to go round all the supermarkets, price up the shop and then work back though them all buying each item from the cheapest place. Sometimes it costs more in petrol than they save.

She's a nurse working in cardiac, I suspect a degree of asperger's.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Thing is, this is something I do know about, having worked in and around the industry for many, many years.

Fresh products are my area of speciality and I have spent the last few weeks looking at ethical sourcing.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

I admit, I hate the sound of screaming lettuce as much as the next red blooded male.

As it happens, the greenhouse goes out in the next couple of weeks. There will be toms and peppers and larger chili plants in there, along with some salad greens. We already have the compost bin going, my Basil, chives and coriander keep me going, and my window sill first batch chilis should start to fruit soon.

We have a spud barrel and a garlic bucket on the go permanently and are planning to add leeks and onions and spring onions.

Won't be totally self sufficient, but it will help. If you care so much about fresh produc, you would grow your own too.

Reply to
Elder

Just a genuine 'Why?' here? Don't we get fresh meat, fish and veg because we're northerners? What counts as being 'fresh' - as the veg sold in the village shop is mostly picked early on before the shop opens, so it's only a few hours old? The butcher has his deliveryt every day from local farms, I know this because I used to paper-round at the same time and ride past whilst they were unloading.

Where does being a northerner start? M25 up? Birmingham upwards? Everyone north of Wales? Surely you're a northerner, hailing from Manchester and all? Or does moving south instantly move one up the fresh veg ladder? What do people in Scotland eat? Just tinned goods and ration packs? Doug, is this true?

What is the average IQ of an Asda shopper? Surely it's around 100, as that's the average for the whole country, and their stores are spread all over? Where do ethical genius' such as yourself shop then? And what's the minimum IQ requirement? And what's your IQ? Do you really not shop at Tescos because, even though you don't mind living near them if you're all within the range of the same Tesco, you don't want to walk near people you think you might have a higher IQ than? You don't have to have conversations with other shoppers when you're there...

Even better, you could shop online! Then you could shop at any of the major supermarkets, except Morrisons I think, and not have to come within close range of anyone except you're Mrs and your cats :-)

We've started shopping locally these days, using the little Co-Op in the village for bread/milk etc, the local fruit an veg place either in the village, or in Filey a couple of miles away, and the butchers in the village - although the one in Filey is sometimes a last resort as it's not as good, but the village place tends to be a bit empty by late afternoon. Oh there's a Heron in Filey too. I don't think they're a really national chain are they? It's like a little Farmfoods sort've thing, freezer shop with closer dates and massive pikeyness. The only things we get there are branded ice lollies/creams as they're another of my weird cravings and let's face it, how can a frozen Orange Maid ice lolly have a use by date?

There is a few things that we can't get locally, but they tend to be things like big bags of dog food etc, once a month pickups when mum's been shopping in town and comes home via Morrisons/Sainsburys/Tesco. It was Sainies the other day as I drink loads of Capri Sun's at the moment for some reason and they were cheaper and bogof at Sainies heh, so we got a stock in. We used Iceland for the first time ever at Xmas as well for the cheap, quick and easy nibbly party foods. We had a shitload of people round this year as we weren't able to go visiting anywhere so we needed quick, easy and plentiful snacks to put on at a minutes notice - little sausage rolls and stuff.

Reply to
DanB

Yeah, it's all chips, pies and mushy peas in the frozen north :-p

Reply to
SteveH

I thought that as well, but I wasn't sure. They do catch a shitload of fish and stuff round here, there are a LOT of Veg producing farms, lots of farms doing the meat and dairy things. Although a lot of the local potatos end up as McCain chips rather than being sold as fresh spuds. When I worked at the NFU for a bit it surprised me just how many farms had loads of cows and stuff, because they're not something I thought I saw a lot of. Quite a few pig farms round here as well - thankfully they're a few miles away.

Reply to
DanB

Fish and chips. Yorkshire puddings.

After all, wales is all sheep and pot noodles isn't it? And don't they eat cheese caerphilly?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, who does like Pie, chips and peas I ask you! Weird coincidence, but my mum made a steak and ale pie for us the other day, with puff pastry on the top and it was so good I've started dribbling just thinking about it. This came about as we'd had some frozen pie the week before and all said it was edible, but not that pleasent. Mum said for the cost she could make one that was twice as big and twice as full, and we scoffed. I was so happy to be proven wrong :-D The steak had come from the butcher that day, the gravy was so, so thick...

Reply to
DanB

I survive solely on packet fresh deep fried Mars bars with the finest, crispiest batter washed down with late vintage Irn Bru.

Anyway, I live in beef and tattie country, what is this... "veg" you speak of?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

So why the bullshit comments?

Reply to