Tsunami Appeal

OK it's off topic so apologies but if anyone hasn't given a few quid yet you can go to the DEC appeal site and donate online. Even a tenner will help if everyone gives something. It'll take no more than a couple of minutes to get to that site and complete the form.

The Brits are leading the world in donations per head by a significant margin. Over £100m donated in the last few days at a rate of over £1m per hour and no sign of slowing down yet.

My own estimation of the death toll which started being reported at 10,000 or so and is still only showing at about 100k is that it will be a quarter of a million. I don't think anyone has yet got close to estimating the number of people still buried under debris or swept out to sea. Sweden alone has 3,500 holidaymakers missing but only a handful confirmed dead and by now one has to assume, with great sadness, that most of those will remain missing. The true death total is going to be massively more than anyone yet believes.

So that bottle of booze you were going to get pissed up on this weekend. Give the cost of that to the appeal and buy a bottle of lemonade instead. You'll never miss the money but someone who has now lost a house or family or both will get more out of it than the hangover which is all you're going to end up with.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I gave all my cash which was a tenner. not much i can do in the short term help but im organising sending out a huge amount of old PC's in about 4 months as most schools were destroyed etc. sounds quite easy at first but getting more challenges all the time.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.comNoEmails (Dave Baker) contains these words:

And remember to tick the "Gift Aid" box if you're a tax payer - that way the chancellor has to put his hand in his pocket and refund the income tax to the recipient as well.

Reply to
Guy King

I noticed you got your add in on the back of the disaster.........why did you not miss it off.

boy

Reply to
Boy

In message , Boy writes

Fuckwitted tosspot!

Reply to
Paul Giverin

If it bothered you that much why post it up again then?

Reply to
Chris Street

would increase dramatically if everyone gave in their lottery money for the week rather than buy daft tickets.

Reply to
Sue Nami

The message from Paul Giverin contains these words:

There, now /that/ was the phrase I was looking for!

Reply to
Guy King

And why don't you keep your pettiness to yourself?

Reply to
DougP

and you have contributed what ?????????

Reply to
Boy

Well, he did put you in your place concisely. With a fair degree of precision dare I say.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

The message from "Boy" contains these words:

In my case - nearly two weeks income.

Reply to
Guy King

Just pledged my donation - ta for the reminder

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Without wanting to try to detract in any way from the current appeal - what

*is* the big difference between this and other recent events leading to massive loss of life?

About the only things I can see here are the fact this is purely natural, with little or no contribution from mankind - and the fact that there's a lot of nice white middle-class people involved.

Reply to
Adrian

Puma Race Eng Puma Race Engines

Puma Race Engines

Puma Race Engines

Puma Race Engines

Puma Race Engines

Puma Race Engines

Puma Race Engines
If it doesn't bother you then why did you snip it ;-) Puma Race Engines
Puma Race Engines
Puma Race Engines
Puma Race Engines
Puma Race Engines
Puma Race Engines
Puma Race Engines

Tim S Kemp

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Sod the nice white middle-class people - those that survived are mostly on their way home by now.

It's the totality of the destruction in some areas - leaving virtually nothing on which to survive. Whether or not rebuilding in the same location proves a wise idea is another matter but one which can only be handled by live people - and there won't be many of them in some areas if help isn't speedy and copious.

And I'd like someone to do the same to me if something similar happened here - like The Wrekin erupting (fat chance).

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Well, apart from the 3,000 that are dead or missing - including the best friend of the cousin-in-law that we were staying with when the news hit, together with husband and two kids. And another family of five they know. Slightly more than the WTC.

How different is that to Iraq or Dharfur or the Congo or Rwanda or...?

Sure. That's not the root of my uneasiness, though. I'd like it to be more of a matter of international course rather than public pleas forcing goverments to grudgingly hand a fraction of what they spend causing such chaos.

Reply to
Adrian

The first I heard of the reported death toll was 7 (seven) on boxing day.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

In deed!

Please donate via the telephone or website to take advantage of this scheme.

For every £1 you donate 28p of your PAYE tax is transferred from the chancellors pocket into AID.

Reply to
dave F

Stop posting it! You know he doesn't like it! :-)

Reply to
Chris Street