Fiesta Mk3 Lock/Immobiliser

Can anyone answer me a few questions;

Are the immobiliser rings around the ignition barrel specific to the ECU or can they be swapped from one car to another as long as the keys are swapped to?

Is it possible to replace the bit that sits behind the ignition lock(the bit that operates the steering lock) as I'm thinking this may be the cause of the car going through 3 barrels in 1.5 years.

Many Thanks

Reply to
Kirky

On fords, the ring around the ignition barrel is only a transceiver. It only reads the key code, and feeds it to the immobilizer module. The keys are programmed to the immobilizer module.

Have you tried getting new keys? Ford keys are renowned for wearing.

I have only ever replaced one ford ignition barrel, as it's normally worn keys that cause problems, and replacing them solves the problem.

***
Reply to
M Cuthill

Well the last time he had a barrel made up at ford I had them check the keys for wear and they reckoned they were ok.

If I was to get a new ignition barrel and key made up, if the door barrel was worn is that likely to cause the key to wear then the ignition barrel again?

I just dont want to replace these for him and the problems arise again because something else like the drivers lock or the part behind the ignition barrel is wearing other parts out?

Thanks

Reply to
Kirky