ford fiesta MK4 1.25 16v timing belt replacement

Hi to everybody, someone can confirm the tightening torque for the crank pulley bolt ? The crank bolt must be replaced ?

Thanks

GT40

Reply to
gt40

the crank pulley bolt must be renewed, tighten to 40nm then a further 90 degrees (which is really quite hard !!)

The cam bolts may be re-tightened once only (60nm)

There are several special tools needed for this engine, it is not one to take on lightly, I have seen several engines wrecked by belt changing, both home mechanics and garages.

I don't know how much Ford dealers charge for the job, but it might be worth it !

I have done only two (both were successfull), but it is not a job that I look forward to. Neither the crank nor the cams have any keyways, so there is plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong.

IIRC it is worth changing the water pump at the same time (unless very recent, of course) as it is much easier while it is all apart for the belt.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , gt40 writes

30 lb ft initially and then angle tightened a further 90 degrees.

Yes. If you buy the genuine Ford belt, it comes with a new bolt. I don't think the Ford kit for this engines comes with a new tensioner though. It has to be bought separately.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I know that are needed timing pin and plate and that there are no shaft keys. Thanks Mrcheerful for all the useful suggestions

GT40

Reply to
gt40

Thanks to everybody

GT40

Reply to
gt40

You also need the tool to hold the cam wheels and two for the crank pulley. There are at least two different tensioner assemblies, if you have an early type then you need the new type PLUS its bolts which do not come with it as standard. (found out the hard, slow way)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful