Ford Focus clutch problem

And there's less noise transfer, most cars are quieter than their equivalents 20 years ago.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

later focus are suffering clutch master failure at a very early age (4 years

30k) I have replaced several now.
Reply to
Mrcheerful
[...]

Better that than the slave;-)

In fact, probably easier to do than the dreaded self-adjust mech for the earlier Escort clutch cables, which seemed to fail more often than the actual cable.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

it is much easier than the auto adjuster, fiddly because of location, but actually easy, even the pipes are just pust push fit. I am just disappointed that an item like that is made out of plastic and is dying so very early on in a cars life. I now make it a habit to have a grope around the clutch pedal to see if it is wet on service vehicles.

I just found out a new (to me) 1.8 petrolFocus fault: symptom of very erratic idle speed, often far too high: up to 4k ! As it ran fine before cam belt tensioner failure I was a bit undecided about where to start, but my old favourite is an intake air leak, so I started there: soon found it: on the inlet manifold there are two unused vacuum takeoffs, they are blanked with plastic caps, the caps had become brittle and I would guess that during dismantling/rebuilding (with the manifold left on the car) the caps got knocked and the ends split open. A new bit of hose joining the two together has fixed it, but what a cludge from the factory !

Reply to
Mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Whelan saying something like:

Nor four hundred years ago, either.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Dunno, I wasn't around then...

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In the seventies i used to carry a spare clutch and throttle cable in my tool kit precisely because they had a habit of just breaking . Then again they were only a few pounds then

Reply to
steve robinson

Its the same with fuel pipes on the desiel focus if it breaks where it splits into 3 sections as far as ford are concerned its a new pipe £93.00 . A quick trip to the local narrow boat builders £0.75 pence for a three way fuel pipe connector

Reply to
steve robinson

and could be fitted in a reasonable time with simple tools.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Oh yes, Mk1 escort clutch cable, by the side of the road on the way to my wedding, about 5min total from stop to start.

-
Reply to
Mark

Yes about 20 minutes in the dark whilst pissing down of rain .

Reply to
steve robinson

@ Mr Chearfull

Where did you find your price of £39 for the pipe? I have asked Ford for a price and they Quoated £260 + vat for the pipe.... ford parts uk want £115 + vat

Reply to
b.tame1980

Sorry, but I don't remember the thread. I don't remember buying a focus clutch pipe, but I expect it would not be ludicrously priced. There are several on ebay from 8 quid upwards.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

for a price and they Quoated £260 + vat for the pipe.... ford parts uk wa nt £115 + vat

Thanks for your quick reply :) I called ford and they want £260 + vat

Reply to
b.tame1980