Ford focus faults

Allo chaps,

I'm having a good look around for a decent ford focus a 1.6 as that will suffice possibly a zetec :) I've done a bit of research on them and spotted a few faults like the speedo dropping. I was wondering if anyone has one with first hand experience or knowledge can point out anything to look out when going to look at one.

Also when is the cambelt due on these ?

I decided to try a ford focus instead of another mk4 golf mainly for pricing and the bigger boot on the focus and that the focus itself is some what cheaper.

I'd appreciate any advice from the well versed panel (I'll stop arse kissing now)

cheers chaps

Reply to
Jacob

In message , Jacob writes

Cambelt is due at 100k or 10 years. The speedo thing isn't a big issue if it happens. The biggest worry on the 1.6 engine is that a small number of them have suffered from a failure of the oil control piston rings, resulting in horrendously high oil consumption. Its thought this is due to boy racer drivers thrashing the engine from cold. Obviously you can't really check the oil consumption when you test the car but a good service history usually means an owner with some mechanical sympathy.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Wow! How small is the boot on the MK4 Golf? I just bought a Focus 1.6 Zetec on an X-plate for Mrs P. I'd not term the boot as big, that's for sure. It's a struggle to get the pram in it.

Reply to
Mike P

Thats odd, on parkers I THINK :) the golf is listed at 250 litres and a nightmare to get a pram it, you just have to force it, but the focus has 350 litres so surely must be easier with the extra 100 litres. Although you've seen it and I'm now wondering it is suitable. I shall try and have a look at one this week. I hope it does after all the research I'm doing on it :)

Hope Mrs P likes it. I'm after a zetech one was told not to get another before 02 as they have bucket loads of faults. From 02 they ironed those all out.

Reply to
Jacob

Bloody tiny. That's why the Octavia's a better bet.

Reply to
Silk

Depending on year you need to watch for rust in the following places.

  1. Bottoms of doors on inside.
  2. Where the glass meets the frame on the bottom edge of tailgate.
  3. Where the door mirrors meet the door body.

Input shaft bearing on gearbox can go - usually though a long process.

MattF

Reply to
MattF
[...]

There were only a few common faults on early cars, and they will have been fixed by now. They were:

Speedo dropping to zero; fixed by replace the sensor for 25UKP, or 100UKP at a dealer.

Recirc motor in the heating system stripping its cogs. 100UKP to fix.

Dashboard failure; Ford eventually started supplying these at cost after some complaint.

That's about it.

WRT the 1.6 versus the 1.8, I've owned both. The 1.6 suffers from an overly-high top gear. It makes for quiet, economical cruising on the motorway, but if you live where there are a lot of main road climbs, and/ or you intend to travel fully-loaded, I would advise that the 1.8 is better suited.

The 1.6 is a bit smoother, and about 8% better on fuel. If I was looking to buy another Focus though (and I would if I wrote this one off like the last one!), I would get a 1.8.

They are so common, you can afford to be fussy, and get the specification you need. Don't consider one without (working) aircon. If your car lives outside, get one with a heated front screen; they're great!

Luggage space of the hatchback is 0.35 cubic metres; although a bit rare, and not to all tastes, the saloon boot is 0.49 cubic metres.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Chris Whelan wrote (apparently) in uk.rec.cars.maintenance on Sun

15 May 2011 21:40:51:

They (heated front screens) are great, but if you get a crack in one and speak to your insurer about getting it replaced, do check at every stage that they will be fitting an exact replacement. My insurer for my previous car (Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ghia Y-reg) "forgot" to advise the repair company that it was heated so I kept refusing them booking an appointment until they could guarantee that they had the right replacement.

Have since upgraded to a Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ghia 08-reg and that's going fine. Had a Ford Fiesta 1.6 Ghia M-reg before the other two, guess it's obvious what I like. Need nothing larger and five doors are useful every now and then.

Reply to
Mr Guest

My FiL had the opposite experience, they fitted a heated screen as a replecement for a normal one. Apparently the wiring loom is all theer to connect it up if you fit a switch to the dash.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q
[...]

I'm afraid it's not that simple.

Apart from anything else, an ECU upgrade would be required.

If a windscreen company fitted a HFS to any car of mine that didn't have the capability to use it, I would pester them to fit the correct one. A disadvantage of the HFS is that the lines are visible, although you get used to them. I wouldn't be prepared to do that just to accommodate the windscreen company.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I've had three Focusses (all Mk1).

#1 was a company 1.8 turbo diesel (T-reg, from new). Would do up to

64mpg on a good motorway thrash. No real problems. Lacked pulling power until engine got to 1500rpm (embarrassing when entering roundabouts in busy traffic). Worst point - radio traffic announcements only popped up if the volume was set to minimum (apparently an intentional 'feature'!!).

#2 was a 'hand-me-down' company 1.6 petrol (45k miles when I was assigned it - but can't instantly recall the year). No problems. Around

44mpg.

#3 was a 4 year old 04-reg, bought with 11k on clock in 2007 (when I stopped work), 32k now. No problems. Around 44mpg. It gets me from A to B, and I have no immediate urge to replace it.

I believe one of the worst features of all Focusses (well, certainly Mk1s) is that you have to dismantle half the car to replace the nearside headlight bulbs. So far, I haven't had to do this.

HTH!

Reply to
Ian Jackson
[...]

Absolutely not! I've had petrol Mk1 and Mk1 facelift models, and pre- facelift headlight bulb replacement involves opening the bonnet. That's it.

On facelift models, the NS one is easier if you unclip the cover over the battery.

In both cases no tools are required.

Of course, this doesn't apply to xenon headlights.

IMHO, the worst feature of Mk1's is the heating and ventilating. They are quite difficult to keep the screen demisted when conditions are very wet, especially with a car full of passengers.

Facelifted ones are a bit better; the fan speed in position 2 was raised, auto a/c (where fitted) is used, and air extraction through the boot was improved.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

As you've had practical experience of changing the headlight bulbs, you are obviously right, but others definitely have found problems (as a quick Google on 'focus headlight change' shows) - my son included. However, I do see that some say that it IS possible - provided you know how to work around the snags. In fairness, I believe the Focus isn't the only car which has this kind of problem, and others are worse.

And yes, I have to admit that the airflow for demisting isn't too clever, but it's livable-with. Obviously, a HFW helps a lot (which I think all my Focuses have had).

Reply to
Ian Jackson
[...]

What problem?

On the pre-facelift, there are no snags; I could replace both bulbs in 5 minutes tops. I do have small (but beautifully proportioned!) hands, and am used to working on much fiddlier things.

On the face-lifted model, it's still possible to replace both bulbs without removing anything. With the battery cover unclipped, it's a bit easier. So say 6 minutes...

I have no idea what the job is like on a Mk2; perhaps that is more of a problem?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Plus relays and fuses that are not installed

Reply to
steve robinson

On my mk1 facelift, a previous owner had removed / broken off the tabs on the cover that fits on the back of the bulbs, and broken off the piece of plastic that they fit into. This meant that the back cover was not sealing the internals of the light as the metal clip only holds at the bottom of the cover. I presume this was done out of frustration, as I could only see what was going on in there (N/S) with a hand mirror glued onto an old fish slice.

My hands are not so small, so it was fiddly.

David

Reply to
David

Focus C-Max will give you most car for your money if you want a Focus.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

From Our Rubbish Department or Fix Or Repair Daily come to mind, saying that I ran a Ford Cortine 1600XL from 1974 to 1977 and a Ford Cortina 2000GT from 1977 to 1980. Can't say they never broke down but at least you could fix them yourself.

Nkosi

Reply to
Nkosi (ama-ecosse)
[...]

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You need acouple of relays in the u/b fuse box, 2 fuses, and a relay in the central timer module, and then an ecu flash to enable the HFW function, as it is entirely controlled by the ecu according to the smart charge system.

I very much doubt the cables would be in the screen pillars either!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..