Ford Ka clunking steering - WD40 temporary cures

Hi, As a plugs points and filters level person I'd be grateful for any guidance on the problem with my wife's Ford Ka (P reg). The steering started clunking on full lock in car parks, I gave the whole area of steering and suspension a spray with WD40 and for a day or so the problem went away but is back now. The suspension passes the press down on each front wing bounce test and the car otherwise drives well - any thoughts please? We cannot afford to be ripped-off at garages to fix the problem so any advice would help prevent the sharp intake of breath and it'll cost you hundreds merchants - we just don't have that sort of dosh or access to credit

Thanks very much Tony

Reply to
Anthony Roskilly

Erm, just a quick point, WD40 is very good at de-greasing whatever its sprayed upon. It probably isn't a good idea being too liberal with it around that area.

That aside...

When you say "clunking on full lock", do you mean a single clunk as you traverse to full lock?, or when at full lock, you hear/feel clunking repetitively as the car is driven? Does it happen less if the car is driven at some speed (not too fast, of course) - i.e. if there's less lateral force on the road wheels?

My complete guess, if single clunk would be a worn track rod end (reason

- same thing happened a short while ago to my Omega and was fixed by a local indy for ~£45 inc. tracking [now to find someone to do a full geometry :( ])

...or... lower suspension arm / bush (reason - the Wife's Ka suffered the same when she first bought it - repaired under warranty so no clue as to how much it cost back then - but I'd expect to pay £50-£80 for an indy to repair).

Why not phone a few local indy's?, they should agree to look at the problem to diagnose and then quote - remember, although this could be DIY'd you'd still need someone to look at the tracking later.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Reply to
Anthony Roskilly

Some cars always make noises on full lock - it's an inherant part of the power steering so it *may* not be much to worry about but it does sound more than that.

Basic tracking can be DIY'd too with nothing more than a tape measure and a couple of spanners.

Reply to
adder1969