Ford Ka Power Steering and Door locks.

A friend has Ford Ka with a couple of issues.

Power Steering: She's complained of noises and a complete failure to work (see other post). I've had a look, topped it right up and it's now working fully, and as far as I can tell silently.

After a grovel round on the floor in overalls I can see no sign of leakages on any of the pipes or around the pump. However the gaitors each side of the rack do seem externally damp with something oily. I can't identify what.

I can't be *sure* it's leaking fluid becasue I'm not sure it was topped up following some crash repairs a while back.

What's my next step? See if it it loses fluid now or is there some further investigation I can do around the rack.

Door lock: The nearside door lock also has issues. The inside handle will open/unlock the door but not lock it. It seems to me as though it's suddenly got too much cable. The door locks fine from outside. I've taken everything off the door and tired to remover the lock form the door to get a proper look but sure enough the door lock can't be removed without drilling out the rivets on the window guides. Can the cable be removed? I have a feeling simply takling the cable out might help me work out what's going on. What are my options for further investigation.

Reply to
toad_oftoadhall

power steering we have done a few of these and they do leak from the gaiters, for now i would keep an eye on the level door lock it seams that the cable has snapped, yes you've got to drill out the rivets remove the latch, and renew the cable then refit all parts good luck

Reply to
ford_technical_

Thanks!

If power steering fluid is coming round the gaitors what do I need to do? Frankly, I don't know how power steering works. Is there some kind of oil seal in the rack? Am I going to have to take the rack off?

Reply to
toad_oftoadhall