Ford Ka - removing the engine?

Let's make this clear from the start, I'm not a fan of these things (sorry Dervman).

Anyway, for my sins, I have to swap the engine on one and I have no form of manual.

I've done quite a few engines before, but this one looks tricky.

there clearly isn't enough space to separate engine & box in situ, so they'll have to come out together.

It looks as though there is more room to drop the engine out of the bottom than try and lift it through the top - is that the right way to do it?

And as the box has to come out, how do the driveshafts separate from the box?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Think they've got to go down the way. I've never actually paid much attention to Ka's.

Two options. You can either remove the complete shaft from the box, using brute force and ignorance to pop the shafts out (they're held in with snap rings), and the gearbox will then run out. Or, remove the inner CV boot clips (the big ones), pull the boots back, and the tripod joint will then easily pull out (be careful to make sure that none of the 3 rollers fall off - they shouldn't but sometimes they do). Put a plastic bag around the end of the shaft to keep the joint clean and held together, and secure using some black tape. Doing it this way is a little bit more hassle, but it saves having to worry about gearbox oil running everywhere.

Reply to
M Cuthill

I don't blame you... if anyone ever asks me to do one of these again I'll tell them where to go!

So pretty well the same as doing a Mini then? I can just about do those in my sleep!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

My mechanic managed to do the clutch slave cylinder on one by dropping the box out the bottom. I'd not expect the engine to come out the top.

Reply to
Doki