Ford Scorio disiesel - what engine

Ello all

I'm thinking of replaceing my Escort with a Scorpio.

Looking at the 2.5 diesel, and wondering if it's an Endura, or a Peugeot thing?

Either way, is it belt or chain, and what's a good N Reg one worth?

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Why?

Nothing.

Reply to
Conor

As Conor says, it is worth next to nothing or certainly no more than £1200 in pristine condition with a low mileage. By 'low' I mean less than 80,000 miles. Don't let that put you off. It is a lovely, under-rated car.

The engine is, I think, a VM as used at the time by Rover and Range Rover. It is a top quality engine but rather noisy and relatively thirsty in relation to its power output by today's standards. It is more than adequate for a Scorpio.

If the car is a bit rough, has unknown provenance or has more than 100,000 miles, then it is worth less than £500 or as much as the buyer and seller agree between them.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@spam.vlaad.co.uk (Paul Cummins) saying something like:

It's a piece of shit which had an awful habit of misplacing its pushrods every so often.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Scorpios were a horrible car, if you really want a diesel granada then get a mk 2 , not many about though, but why anyone would want a nice car ruined by a noisy manual diesel is beyond me.

Reply to
mrcheerful

"Paul Cummins" >

Missed the main question. It is neither. It has proper gear drives like most heavy duty engines. Don't be put off by the others, if you can tolerate the shape, and it is now turning into an interesting classic, then it is a really nice car.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

You have got one for sale, haven't you? (only reason I can think of to defend them)

They were a horrible car, plagued by faults from new, many parts are no longer available new which is a bit of a problem too. Only the Germans liked the styling, says it all really.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

In news:4cwLg.14397$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, mrcheerful . wittered on forthwith;

I think that's a bit harsh on the Frogeye Scorpio. Other than camchains on the 24v ones and the odd dodgy autobox I've never seen a Scorpio with any major faults. They're nice inside and handle well for what they are. I've often considered getting a tidy 24v one.

Reply to
Pete M

Nope. Never owned one myself but have driven one and been carried in one quite a few years ago. Passed one this morning for the first time in yonks. It's not pretty.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

exactly, ownership or working on one will put you off.

the autoboxes are a guaranteed expensive and regular repair, I used to find that they would come in for a service and leave with a big list of faults to attend to, mostly the owners got rid of them.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Huw" saying something like:

Ugly as sin, imo. Time has not been kind to them either.

All they are now is just the latest big banger from Ford.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon