Peugeot 406 ( a good deal?)

Been out looking at cars today and have seen a 1999 Peugeot 406 1.8lx and as I don't know much about cars was wondering whether it's an ok deal? It's up at £2995 but has 67000 miles on the clock and they're going to give me £1000 for my existing N reg Astra in part exchange. It's just had a new cam belt fitted too. It's absolutely immaculate and drives nicely but my husband is concerned about the mileage. Anyone know whether they're good/reliable cars and whether this is a fair price? Would it having done that many miles cause a problem? Mel.

Reply to
Mel

can the verify the mileage is correct ?

ie does it come with FSH ??

generaly the peugeots are reliable cars.

I had a 406 that when i let it go had 90K plus on, it did not sound quite as sweet as new car but other than the aircon needing recharging it was ok.

have a look on autotrader to get a price comparison.

Reply to
Robin

Reply to
Duncan Wood

For £2000 that doesnt sound a bad motor, depsite the miles. Go back and check it again throughtly- i.e. all electrics- weak spot on French Cars, the air con- if not haggle for a recharge- £80 ish, the engine runs well - and starts ok- ECU faults and software glitches plagued the 1.8 aroound this time....

Also check that the temp gauge rises smartly to normal and stops there- as head gaskets and other cooling system faults are not unheard of- the hose that runs around the back of the engine likes to go pop after a while too- good preventitive maintanance to check it and replace it if it shows signs of perishing...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.