Ford Transit Diesel Manifold

Hi guys :)

I'm after a little help here on Ford Transit DI 2.5 Diesel exhaust manifolds.

I've just put the above engine into an old '89 Landrover Defender and its running pretty much ok but feels little under powered.

The thing is I've got an old Holset fixed turbo sitting in my workshop and was thinking of bolting it on to give it a little more 'umph.

Question: Can the exhaust manifold be refitted upside down? Reason being, to avoid fouling the ladder chassis it would be better for the manifold to turn up rather than down as it does at the moment. This will enable me to fit the turbo under the 'bannana' inlet manifold then take the exhaust across the engine through the offside inner wing and up onto the roof. Which will then match the nearside snorkel. (Feng Shui my a*se lmao!)

Plus on another note is the 2.5 DI up to a turbo upgrade? Its a fixed turbo ie no wastegate etc so we are not talking masses of boost here and I figure the Ford lump should pretty much go on forever and its only for the kids to play in.

Any comments and help welcome.

TIA

-Tim

Reply to
Tim

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspambono (Tim) mumbled:

That engine was/is frequently turbocharged...though of course you'll have to fiddle with the fuelling to get any benefit out of it.

Reply to
Guy King

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspambono (Tim) mumbled:

Except a broken cam belt. Fit a new one while you've got it out!

Reply to
Guy King

Erm what model of holset is it? You cant go bolting any turbo to any engine, they are matched in terms of pressure ratio and gas flow. At best you'll get no boost whatsoever cos the turbo is too big ever to spool up on the gas flow the DI can provide, or you'll spin it way too fast and end up with too much boost - burst headgasket, followed by turbo meltdown cos of excess shaft speed.

Are you planning an intercooler?

Ideally, you'd want a smallish wastegate turbo (cant be arsed to do the figures, but a t2 size) limited to about 8psi that will be spooled up at around 1800rpm and the fuelling increased slightly over standard throughout.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Can't help you there. I do know however it originally came off an old 2.5 N/A Land Rover fitted as an after-market jobbie. Holset appear to have discontinued it judging from their website. Apparently it was fitted when the original 2.5 Turbo engine was replaced. The early 2.5 TD Landy engines were really bad. I've killed several over the years, which is why I've fitted a Transit to the one we use as a runabout. A cheaper and easier option than fitting a 200TDI engine which is bullet proof and shed loads of torque.

Yes of sorts. I've got a Charge Cooler given to me off a mates Nissan Pulsar GTI-R which I could fit. There's much more room under the bonnet as the Tranny engine seems half the length of the Landy engine.

Reply to
Tim

Right. If you are feeling lucky the bodge it on. Dont forget the oil lines, and a free return to the sump using 3/4" hose as minium.

I find it hard to believe the holset is sans wastegate, as the stock Landy Turbo had one with, limiting boost to ~8psi. Like you said they were always blowing up, because the motor wasn't strong enough and LR cheapened the job by forgetting the intercooler. It could however be sized large enough never to spool up enough to produce silly levels of boost within the LR engines rev range.

However, go ahead, but you must hook up a boost gauge, and if you're getting more than ~1 bar at full power/revs, then decrease the max speed screw on the pump to stop it all going pop. If you can hook up the intercooler, then all the better for power and engine life.

tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Tim.." snipped-for-privacy@btinternetdot.com Eloquently put:

Thanks for you comments Tim and in my mind I think its worth a go also. But as my original post says, to make the job easier I need a manifold that turns up and not down. Looking at the manifold it appears symmetrical "ish" along the horizontal thus simplifying the job entirely. But at the end of the day it doesn't need a rocket scientist to modify the existing one.

I agree. All factory fitted TD Landy's had a Garret T2 originally. This Holset has come off a 2.5 N/A Landy. It's been retro fitted as some sort off aftermarket addition by some previous tinkerer I assume. Possibly to overcome the 'Widow Maker' curse of the 2.5 TD Landy's

Good idea, especially since it's just a little (*loads*) over fuelled at the moment ;)

Thanks mate

Reply to
Tim