Ford wipers

Hello,

My dealer is offering flat wipers for 45% of RRP, so instead of £50 per pair, they are just over £20 per pair. Rear wipers are excluded from the offer.

I was thinking of trying the (non-dealer) silicon wipers but they are £25 each, so this offer seems to good to be true. My wipers are ok at the moment but I wonder whether to pick up a pair whilst the offer is on?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

Why not? You should always replace them annually, so the new ones won't have aged in that time.

FWIW, I get mine from here:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

In message , Stephen writes

last time my car was in for several repairs they suggested that the wipers were smearing, and fitted new ones all round for about £45-£50 quid.

The difference in screen visibility was startling... ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Since the wipers themselves don't wear out - or rather nothing like so quickly as the 'rubbers', replacing just those is a lot cheaper and not difficult. But of course they're becoming increasingly difficult to find. £50 quid once a year for two small bits of rubber is just plain crazy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed; don't know what the OP's car is, but a pair of Champion blades (which I've found to be OK) for a Mondeo are under 12 quid a pair.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

However, increasinly on modern cars, with 'aeroblade' type wipers, there is no metal bit to refil.

Reply to
SteveH

I've had the car for nearly 7 years and last year was the first time they have been replaced.

Reply to
Gordon H

I've struggled with generic 'replacement' blades with the bewildering bits of plastic for too many years to bother about a few quid extra to get the 'right' ones fitted. It is a Mondeo, and I'm 70 years older than the car. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H
[...]

Heh! For 38 quid, I'd be prepared to do a fair bit of struggling!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yep, Champion blades on my Focus were better than Bosch.

Something like £4 in a bargain bin from Asda.

David

Reply to
David

True, I tried retro-fit flat blades from Tesco for about £5. Were OK for about two months.

David

Reply to
David

Bosch seemed to have reached perfection of design. Still look perfect, but judder after a year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A pair of bosch blades will go straight on without changing any fittings, about 14 quid for a pair.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Also, when very cold, do not follow the curvature of the screen and left large areas unwiped.

The Champions were much better in this respect, the Bosch blades were only a couple of months old.

David

Reply to
David

I have found that they usually only judder in one direction, a slight tweak to the blade to screen angle can fix them. Two adjustable spanners are ideal to give the arm a slight twist.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

When I was in my 20s, I took on a shared job of cleaning out a scruffy terraced house from which the tenants had done a runner. There were filthy mattresses and all kinds of rubbish, and we shared 20 quid each and threw our old clothes away afterwards. That was then, this is now. :-)

Reply to
Gordon H

In message , Mrcheerful writes

I'll remember that next time . If I'm still driving...

79 in November, and I have to renew the 3 year licence for the third time.
Reply to
Gordon H

+1, Mk1 Octavia.
Reply to
David Paste

I picked up a set for both my cars in the bargain bin at Sainsburys, £4 a pair, Champion. They seem to be pretty good. Certainley better than the last pair of £25 s**te that my missus, in her naivety, bought from Halfrauds.

I've also used

and got some german things I'd never heard of, and they were £8 a pair for another of my cars. Lasted fine.

Wiper blades from dealers and Halfords are a complete rip-off.

Reply to
Doktor IronKuntz

Strange one here,on checking Wiperblades website the drivers side is noted as 22 inch, passenger side as 24 inch for flat blade types, yet as original (none flat), types were both 24 inch long. Car is `53 plate Zafira. Anyone explain the 2 inch difference?.

Thanks all.

Reply to
doug