Fouled plugs

Not pinking is it?

Reply to
pb

I had the same problem last year, and it was cured when I replaced my plugs. My HT leads are less than a year old, and are Magnecors (10 yrs garuantee). btw, no dissy.

I've just ordered the plugs, and could put a pic up, after I've changed them. Of course, it's possible that I could have a leaky injector because it is a bit oily. When my exams are over investigating the oily injector will be one of my tasks.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

It is possible, and I think that's what I'm going to assume. After

36,000 miles though the plugs would've been exposed to millions more explosions than at 4,000. They're designed to work in these 'explosive environments'.
Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 12 May 2005 11:00:57 -0700:

And they still work (i.e. produce a spark that ignites a mixture of petrol/air), don't they?

They're designed to produce a spark. Not to look pretty, although it is indeed possible to tell that something is wrong with the engine (probably NOT the plugs) by looking at their condition. Only if you know what's normal and what isn't, though. Haynes manuals have an almost entirely unhelpful black and white picture somewhere.

If you really want to see if the plugs are making a difference: do a double blind test. I bet you'd _think_ your engine sounded better when you fitted new plugs. However, I'm not so sure you'd be able to tell which set was actually the new set, if you didn't know already.

Reply to
David Taylor

They must do!

lol, with the noise the car's making at the moment I will definately be able to hear a difference! It's got worse, and it sounds like a blowing zorst, but I still think it's the plugs. It does sound weird, but last year my plugs solved the problem. My friend had his lambda sensor fall out a while ago, and my car sounds like his did. It sounds kinda cool when idling, but I could barely hear it over my fan belt this morning :-(.

I'm gonna try recording the noise on my Linux laptop (which I've never tried before). The differences aren't in my head, believe me! I do find it hard to belive that spark plugs can make this difference. I know you won't believe me, that's why I need to record it! My new plugs should arrive on Monday, so that's probably when I'll do the recordings. Please don't moan at me before you've heard the recordings!

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 13 May 2005 03:24:16 -0700:

Only if there is actually something wrong with the plugs, though...

You're sure you don't have a hole somehwhere in your exhaust?

OK.

Reply to
David Taylor

If it sounds like a blown exhaust, and it sounds like your mates which had blown its exhaust, and your plugs have only done 4k, and therefore should be fine, do you not think it may be your exhaust? Have you checked? Rag over the end and look for it blowing somewhere?

Reply to
Chris Street

I'll try the plugs first. IIRC my Zorst is only about 14 months old though. I haven't checked yet.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

If you wish to piss money away that's fine. It's not my cash after all.

However, if the plugs went at 4k, they will do it again. Have you found out

*why* they went at 4k? If not it pointless swapping them.

You have the symptopms of a blowing exhaust. What you gonna do, screw the old plugs into the holes to fix it?

Reply to
Chris Street

petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 13 May 2005 11:44:21 -0700:

What the hell is a zorst?

Anyway, aren't your plugs _less_ than 14 months old?

Again, what makes you think there is anything even slightly wrong with the plugs? Remember, your car sounding like it has a blown exhaust is a sign of a blown exhaust, not a sign of dud spark plugs.

Reply to
David Taylor

I've already ordered the plugs, that's why I'm going to try them first. I suppose I could check the zorst first though.

I don't think I'll ever know (if that is what's wrong). They're cheap to replace though (less than a tank of petrol).

My exhaust still looks like new :-o.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

It's what chavs call an exhaust :-)

Yes, about 10-11.

I'll try to find out tomorrow.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

I would. Leave the plugs in the pack until you actually need them.

Unlike the rest of the car an exhaust rots from the inside out as that's where all the acid is.

Reply to
Chris Street

It can still break no matter what it looks like at the back! I had one go at the weld where the front pipe goes into the center box after three months (1st and last time I ever used Kwikfit for an exhaust). Get under the car and have a good look at all the joints in the system.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

You can lead a horse to the water . . . .

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham