Fred must be worried...

Have you lost your fingers as well as being thick?

Reply to
Fred

So what was your point?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Fred ("Fred" Have you lost your fingers as well as being thick?

What _are_ you on?

Reply to
Adrian

Fred ("Fred" > The factory does. They were probably pulling your plonker - telling you

So it WAS worth sending carcasses that weren't up to scratch - as they bulked up the load to bring it to the minimum collection. No, they wouldn't get paid, but they'd have had to pay to dispose of them anyway.

Reply to
Adrian

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Fred,>>>>> aggressively treaded tyres in car sizes - especially for

I'm not trolling, if I was trolling I'd be winding Steve up.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ("Pete M" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Reply to
Adrian

I don't avidly devour these tyre tests as I'm not that interested, but the recent Autocar one seemed to rely heavily on opinion. Things they could measure accurately like braking distances in a straight line - both wet and dry - didn't show a huge difference. In other words, a near new 'budget' tyre *might* perform better than a top brand one towards the end of its legal life. Other thing is a tyre which sharpens the steering response might be a help on some cars and a nightmare on others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ("Dave Plowman (News)" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

A _near new_ TeflonFred "might" "perhaps" "in ideal conditions" be as good as a proper tyre that's ready for the bin...

Reply to
Adrian

All I can say is I've got Colway remoulds on my SD1 and they are very satisfactory. Good grip wet and dry, quiet and comfortable. Good steering feel. A vast improvment on the previous Avons. Too soon to say how well they will last, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Actually I'd like to see a test of them all for how well they perform at

15000miles & then we could make some sensible comparisons.
Reply to
Duncan Wood
[...]

I'd like someone to test the front tyres of my Focus after 15,000 miles; sadly I've never had them last that long!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Dave Plowman (News) ("Dave Plowman (News)" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

When I bought my old man's Xant for him, it was on "RoadHogs". It was _horrible_ to drive. They were binned in favour of a pair of Avons. It was transformed.

When I bought the Saab, there was a pair of new "Fate-O" on the front, and worn Pirellis on the back. A pair of new Michs went on the front, and the Fate-Os on the back. It was transformed. I must sort a second pair of Michs out. (I ummed and ahhed over whether to bin the Fate-Os and just run the Pirellis into the ground - but the presence of a large screw in one Pirelli, and a big ding in the other Pirelli-shod rim, sealed it)

Reply to
Adrian

Probably badly, and it'd depend how the miles had been driven. Evo reckoned that there was a noticeable difference between fresh tyres and tyres that had been sat on a shelf a few months after testing both.

Reply to
Doki

Which is most of their usage.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Reply to
Fred

Fred ("Fred" >got the likes of Yokos and Goodyear F1s.

Genuine question - why not? Surely the important factor is how well they behave in use. The design decisions taken are contributory to that result, but not - of themselves - important.

Odd, you've argued the direct opposite in the past.

Probably very true. However, it all comes down to likelihoods. The average budget tyre will be considerably worse than the average premium tyre. A bad premium will be comparatively rare, as will a good budget.

Reply to
Adrian

You mean he's argued that some budgets are good but some budgets are bad?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel