+50% bulbs buy one get one free

I was in halfords looking to upgrade my headlight bulbs. They have some own brand "Super Brilliance 50% more Xenon Gas technology high performance bulbs" for sale at £12.99 each, but at the moment it is buy one get one free. So I bought some as I remember reading on here somebody saying some of halfords own brand bulbs were good. They are stamped "Mega light plus Made in Hungary", not Osram or Philips as some poster said. 60/55w is this the correct rating? I havent had a chance to try them out yet. Must be good if they are £12.99 each surely? A good buy when you get one free?

Performance Bulbs > > >Our range of performance bulbs already offer unbeatable quality and value - now

we're going one better with the launch of new and exclusive Super Brilliance Bulbs. These xenon bulbs offer 50% more visibility than standard headlamp bulbs. Available for most makes of car.

They had some other kinds in their own range including Off Road only 'rally ones'.

They had some Bosch ones but these were £19.99 each.

Reply to
Mark

Halford didnt seem to stock any bulbs apart from their own brand and Bosch. You think they would have a wider selection the size of their shops.

Reply to
Mark

Mark (Mark S) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yeh, right.

Reply to
Adrian

As the printer who prints the packaging for Halfords own brand bulbs I can tell you who actually supplies them, Ring Lighting. Whether Ring make the bulbs themselves or buy them in cheaply from abroad I don't know unfortunately.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I bought some halogen sealed beam conversion headlights from ring and they were made in india

Reply to
Mr Jolly

If you look closely you will find this on the "branded" stuff as well - you might want to have a look at some of the original components on your car - and other things you buy - it can be quite enlightening.

Reply to
R. Murphy

very witty - snip = it can be quite enlightening. ho ho ho!!

Reply to
Rude Olf

Another top-posting and unnessary quoting witty (not) twit to add......

Reply to
Dave

Also sprach "Dave" :-

And worse - claiming to have snipped the original - but not actually deleting it!

Reply to
Guy King

I have tried all of Halfords range of lightulbs (H4) for my 91 Clio, and found that not one of them made a difference, even the +30% extra brightness.

What I did find made a difference was a pair of Sportz Blue 100/80 bulbs.

Now I can drive down the country lanes with confidence.

Reply to
Heds

and brake the law

80/100's ain't legal on european roads.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Also sprach Mr.Nice. :-

Nice though. I prefer 55/100s 'cos then dip ain't a problem and used properly there's no one to see full beam.

Reply to
Guy King

Although an OEM customer might insist on tighter QC than the manufacturer's "standard" offerings.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lee saying something like:

Or even less tight tolerances...

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

That's the way I see it.

Just out of interest, I get blinded by most new car lights these days, the lights seem to be so bright, even on dip. I take it that these are all HID?... and don't get me started on the fools who take several seconds to realise that there is a car coming in the opposite direction before they dip.

/Heds

Reply to
Hedley Phillips

yep, that's fair enough. I used to use those myself but switched to some fancy silver thingys by osram and I have found that I can see better with those than with the 55/100's or even 80/100's.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Way back in the old days, one of me mates rode a lovely Ducati, can't remember which model. But, he was fed up of car drivers not dipping coming towards him. He worked for Hawker Siddley at the time and managed to procure a landing light, which I think was 500 watt. He wired that to the bike with a separate button and gave a quick flash to the full beamers. Worked quite well apparently. I do not condone such behaviour etc.etc.

Reply to
Taz

Jesus. 40-odd amps. Hefty current drain.

Reply to
SteveH

Cue the IBM story.

I'm *fairly* sure that it is an urban legend.

IBM bought a load of EEPROM chips or some such off the shelf component from a Japanese/Eastern chip fab plant and specified that they would only accept a 1% failure rate. The shipment arrived in two part. The second part was labelled up with some note to the effect that this was the 1% failure rate requested.

Warwick -- it's in the smallprint

Reply to
Warwick

Also sprach "Taz" :-

My uncle did the same with a Marina - landing light hidden in the grille.

Reply to
Guy King