FRONT FOGS!!!

In news:41aa4314$0$33626$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, r.p.mcmurphy decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Heh, Mercedes like mine, and Volvo 760s seem to be the worst, I suspect it's cos the fogs are integral with the headlamps..

I suspect the reason lots of people seem to drive round with 'em permanantly on is because they only used to be fitted to the posher models in most ranges. Seems to be a vanity thing, although even some of the cheaper stuff out there seems to have 'em now. Pug 206s seem to have them on lots of 1.1s now.

I do admit to using them on very dark country lanes though if I'm hustling, they light up the kerbs well, but I switch 'em off in the same way I switch off main beam if there's someone coming the other way.

Reply to
Pete M

I do the same on particularly mucky nights where the road edge is not clearly defined. Far from all roads here have a white line between road and verge. It would be handy if there was an automatic function for this, so they automatically switched off on dipping, like a fog position on their switch and a driving position where they were linked to main beam in the same way exactly as the driving lights so often fitted as standard these days. For that matter, the default could be 'fogs on linked to main beam' with a 'fog' position where they stayed on when main lights are dipped. This could require a change in the law though I suppose.

Lets start a lobby group ;-)

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I don't think it affected the front, but the CX I had would switch off the rear fog when I put high-beams on. I /think/ it was supposed to, as several did it, but it was a CX, so you can't be sure.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

They were meant to, yup. Lots of 70's stuff does it.

Mk2 Granadas switch off the front fogs if you put full beam on, but they switch 'em back on when you dip.

Reply to
Pete M

I'm not really bothered visually by front fogs apart from the "It's not sodding well foggy!" that goes through my mind. Recently I've had a lot of cars behind me and passing in the other direction that just don't bother to turn off their main beams until they're a second away or I've flashed them to remind them. The ones behind can get a bit annoying since they inevitably arrive slowing down from 90 to be stuck behind me trundling along at what the needle says is 65, but the GPS says is 60 and then hang half way out looking to overtake, guaranteeing that, although I've flipped the dazzle switch on the rear view, I'm getting blinded in the side mirror.

These days, I just slow down enough to let them get past. I haven't had that kind of urgency to die since a BMW 316 passed me and the queue of cars I was stuck behind on a very short straight up (so short I wasn't going to try anything even in a car with a *lot* more power than he had) and had us all stop to help him out from his now upside down car just around the blind corner where he'd lost control.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

Yes, I remember such things. It would have been far more useful if they worked the other way around for use in non foggy but mucky weather don't you think. As for backs. They should be off in all conditions unless there is no sign of following traffic.They really do dazzle intensely

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Reply to
R. Murphy

They are! Only to be used in fog or falling snow... or so the law says!

Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

they really are a fashion victims accessory - for them to be legal you have to have fairly thick fog and have them on at the same time as your dipped headlights - to be of use they should be on without a dipped headlight (light reflected from fog reducing vision) so no possible time are they of use or legal

Reply to
Tommy

Maybe their cars have the same ridiculous foglight wiring as on my Peugeot

306. The foglight switch has three positions - Off, Front and Front+Rear.

In 40+ years driving I can probably count the number of times I've need to use front fogs on the fingers of one hand, whereas I invariably use rear foglights in the appropriate conditions.

I'm thinking of having a look at the switch to see if I can easily swap connections 2 and 3.

Peter Brumby

Reply to
Peter Brumby

And of course the vast majority of cars are wired so that the rear fogs will only work when the headlights are on dipped. But why is it that some drivers don't know how to switch them off?

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

I use mine all the time now, not to look 'cool' but, as a mile eater, I have that many ppl pull out from side roads, or change lane to overtake as im about to pass them in my overtaking manover i use them in the vain hope that they may actually see me better.

Reply to
Neil B

Sadly it means they see you, but assume you are a total knob and not worthy of courtesy on the road.

Turn them off until it's foggy (vis of 100m or less) and look less like a knob.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Reply to
Gary Millar

It's rear foglights that are the problem, so many people forget where the switch is to turn them off and you are at risk overtaking them because the glare from the things means you cant see pass properly. Instead of a dash warning light the should fit a buzzer instead, they will turn the damm things off then. Rant over

Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Doubt it, they'll probably just turn the stereo up...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Howarth

NO _ ITS the Knobs with the front fogs on that think its "good idea" not the rear light that are an issue

Reply to
Tommy

My car has a buzzer when I go over the national speed limit...

...I just turn the stereo up.

Reply to
Ben Blaney

Also sprach Ben Blaney :-