Steering noise

Howdy,

Just recently I've noticed a ticking noise coming from the front that happens when I turn. As I'm turning the wheel I hear a tick tick tick when I'm in the driver's seat. With the hood up I can hear a loud click at the start of the turn and one at the end of the turn. This click is much louder than the constant clicking I hear when turning the wheel.

Does anyone have ideas about the cause?

thanks Mike

95 SE, 85k miles
Reply to
Mike Frith

Most common cause for clicking sound when turning a front wheel drive car is the CV joints. But then, some Maxima's also have a problem with a strut bushing that causes a noise when the steering is "wound up", so to speak...

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh

Might be a u-joint in the steering shaft? If I'm reading this right; it does this sitting still. Does it do it with the engine off as well? How about when rocking the wheel back and forth? Does it feel like it's stiffer/harder to turn than it used to be? CV joints make noise when you're appling power, car is moving and the wheels turned a good bit like pulling out onto a street or in a parking lot.

Reply to
Steve T

With my 95 it was the strut bearings. These are at the top of struts I guess between top of spring and center shaft to allow the end of spring to rotate somewhat when compressed. When they dry out, they tend to make clicking or clunking noises when cranking the wheel while stopped or moving slowly.

But my stut boots were totally disintegrated (95 SE purchased May 94), so I replaced the struts, and the sound went away.

Reply to
David Efflandt

It's an intermittent noise, but the mechanic thinks it's the same issue you had David. These are KYB AGX struts, 2 years old.

Sorry for the late response, was on vacation.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Frith