future of the motor trade?

gazzafield (rufty_tufty snipped-for-privacy@nospam.thankyou.says_I.ko) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

For those purposes, the cars you mentioned are perfectly adequate.

But "Great cars"? FAR from it.

Perhaps if, one day, you ever try a truly great car - or even one that's more than mediocre - you'll realise that cars can be good fun, too.

Reply to
Adrian

They can be, in a completely different way. I'm not denying this. I meant to put it in my post. I've enjoyed some of the cars I have owned but few would I/have I missed when it was time to sell.

Reply to
gazzafield

gazzafield (rufty_tufty snipped-for-privacy@nospam.thankyou.says_I.ko) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Well, no, but if you insist on going around buying mediocre crap like Ashtrays and Chavaliers...

Reply to
Adrian

Each to their own. I would never have a 2CV, or anything French again for that matter.

Reply to
gazzafield

Yeah. I'm thinking we need to move away from soft touch engine bays and on to things like involved driving experiences.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Sandy Nuts ( snipped-for-privacy@forme.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Heretic!

Reply to
Adrian

I would wager that the average car buyer doesn't give a damn about the involved driving experience and wouldn't know one if it smacked them. Colour size and badge are far more important.

Reply to
the.best.names.are.gone

In news:eaIHh.326$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Sandy Nuts wittered on forthwith;

Although most Vauxhalls aren't much better than Kias.

I've never liked FWD Vauxhalls.

I don't like Kias either.

Reply to
Pete M

higgins@work ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed. Some people think '80s Astras and Cavaliers are "great cars"...

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, but at the end of the day, market forces dictate what something's worth, and it's worth around the £3k mark because statistically they last pretty well.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Mk2 Cav was great!

Went well, easy to service. Didn't look bad.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Pete Smith (pete snipped-for-privacy@lethe.org.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You're obviously thinking of a very different car to my old man's A-reg estate. Yellow, it was.

That was the one which failed it's first MOT on rotten brake pipes - one of which was held in by exactly one full thread turn.

Still, it wasn't long after that before I was wirebrushing and hammeriting over rust for him.

Blimey, it lived until as late as '99...

Reply to
Adrian

& it'll have to blow quite spectacularly to be that dead.Somehow I doubt Kia will stump up for a new engine if you ran it down the road with no water from the hole in the radiator, or no oil & the light on.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Before you all rush out and buy a quality Chinese car, you ought to take a look at the crash test of the Landwind

Partac

However to try and draw a balanced comparison, it would only be fair to browse through some of the the crash test results of some of the much better known and long established global manufacturers <

.

Reply to
Ivan

It's hardly possible to "draw a balanced comparison" between a couple of tonnes of 4x4 and a 6-700 kilo shopping trolley :)

Reply to
Tony Bond

AIUI the Landwind was derived from an Isuzu design from the 1980s, when safety standards were very different to what they are now.

Also from what I gather that particular test has been a wake-up call to the Chinese about the standard of vehicle design and construction which is demanded here in the West, especially if they ever expect to make major inroads into our markets.

Apparently it will be at least the beginning of the next decade before they seriously start making an attempt at exporting millions of low cost vehicles.

My own guess that it's going to come whether our manufacturers want it to or not, just as it did with the Japanese in the 1960s.

Incidentally when I was looking around for a replacement vehicle, one of the reasons I plumped for the Ford focus was because the build quality got very good reviews, whereas some of the other vehicles I was interested in, such as 'certain' Peugeot and Skoda models had some rather negative comments made about their flimsy construction, so I gave them a wide berth.

Reply to
Ivan

Fred

Oooo...uch. Now, that was a spectacular, well-aimed left hook.

Re: "Budget Tyres" on 2007-02-11

Lin Chung

Oh, I know that there are privately owned cars around. It just never occurred to me that some of them might be Vauxhalls. It would be like finding out that someone between the ages of 20 and 70 owns a Ford Ka ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston