golf diesel warm start problem .1.9 mk3 non turbo

hi, my wifes golf diesel (non turbo) starts fine from cold and runs ok until its switched off for a short stop ,then it fails to fire up,the motor turns over until battery goes flat.This has been an occasional problem for some time but its becoming more frequent.Air filter's clean.I considered it could be a solonoid fuel cut off but it only takes a quick push to bump start it again so i suppose it wouldnt start if it were that.any theories welcome.dave.

Reply to
sarah hardy

Still could be a dodgy connection to the cut off solonoid...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I had the very same problem with an Audi 80 turbo diesel, same type of engine, changed air filter, fuel filter, battery,checked voltages etc etc, The car started doing it on very hot days when it had only been stopped for a short while, (less than 15/20 minutes) though it turned over normally , Push it the length of it and it starts instantly! let it cool down, eg. wait an hour for the breakdown organisation and it starts....

It's been doing it intermittently for 3 +years, a friend of mine now has it and it still does it!! the car has now done over 240K, Never fails to start from cold and you never can tell when it's going to fail to start! The only common denominator is that it has to be hot!

Because it only does it when it is hot I wondered if it could be fuel vaporisation?

It would be great to find a reason even if it's probably too late for the Audi!!

Reply to
Des

a rover I knew of did that, found it was a leaky dudar on the fuel pump body, for bleeding,presurizing, i forgotten the name of the dam thing lol.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

thanks for the ideas , will let you know if anything comes to light!!cheers.dave

Reply to
sarah hardy