Golf GTi non-starting

Hi,

Just bought myself a £70 Golf Gti to play with over the summer. It's solid and in good nick apart from the engine doesn't start. Cambelt is still there, I've got a healthy spark, there's compression. Not sure if there's fuel getting to the engine though. No smell of fuel at all in fact. There is fuel in the tank.

The Haynes book of lies I bought won't arrive til Wednesday.. can anyone point me in the right direction what to look for to get it started. It turns over fine..

chers Mike

Reply to
Mike P

In news:c58mac$2qrarq$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-163316.news.uni-berlin.de, Mike P decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

if it's an early GTi, it's got two fuel pumps, one in the tank and one that sends it to the engine. The one in the tank normally dies.

Oh, and if it's a K-jetronic one, the butterfly in the throttle body normally sticks.

Reply to
Pete M

Give it a squirt of carb cleaner or easy start, if it runs for a short while then have a look at pump/fuses etc.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Does the fule pump whirr for a second or two when you switch the ignition on? I

f not, have a look at the fuel pump relay.

Reply to
arry_b

Must have been a dodgy fuse . I pulled all the fuses out to check them, none were bad so I put them in and it started first time. Seems to run fine. Seller said it just died and he left it, 9 months ago!. Took it up the back lane, all the gears work, it brakes straight. Only a couple of MOT probs, one easy, a leaky silencer, and the other is that it idles lumpily. Seems too slow. I suppose the exhaust will have an effect on this . If I spray carb cleaner down it, then take it for a run, will that help? It worked wonders on the saab cos there was a build up round the throttle butterfly screwing the idle up.

Thanks for your help,

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Yeah though it could just be that the feul has been in the tankl for 9months which aint going to help it too much! get some optimax or ultimate and shove some octane booster in with say 2gallons of petrol, then use the red nitrox feul system cleaner straight down the inlet and on and over all the air flowed surfaces in it as its cleaned out numerous amoutns of cack from past cars of mine, just keep the idle high or it will die and not be easy to start with all the cack floating about :)

Reply to
William Morrow

I put a couple of gallons of optimax in it, it was pretty much empty when I got it. I've given it an oil change, new dizzy cap and rotor arm and it ran OK when I took it up the road. Still idles poorly, but the exhaust is knackered, so I reckon that's the cause. Pulls well and handles nicely. There is a knocking from the front left after about 30mph though, gets louder as I go faster? Wheel bearing or CV joint? Also does it if I run the car on the stands, after about 30mph in any gear.

Any ideas appreciated,

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

"Mike P" wrote

The idle stabilisation valve is a primary cause for the idle problems. Take it off and give that a clean out with carb cleaner. It's the metal cylindrical object which sits over the rocker cover. When you switch the ignition on, it should buzz.

Also, take out the idle adjustment screw on the inlet manifold and clean that up.

If it's a digifant engine, this will do you the most good! :

Jon.