Advice Please: Escort Bumpers

Could anyone tell me please the history of Escort rear bumpers!

I am trying to get a *rear* bumper for a 1998 1800 Si Zetec (5 door).

After a bit of a ring around, seems 2nd user dealers are confused. Some say Mk5 onwards fit, others it has to be a Mk7, others the Mk6 will fit. Others start talking about fog lights and then realise they are looking at front bumpers and not rear.

Am I right in thinking the Mk6 or 7 bumper for the 1600/1800 zetec and Td are all the same, but others vary? Anyone suggest get a Ford genuine part only or from experience are 3rd part just as good?

Reply to
Brownie

For your 98 car you want a mk7 bumper- that is the one with cut out for the exhaust just left of center and the small slatty area in the bottom center to the right of the exhaust cut out.

You must have a mk7 bumper for either of the Zetec E engines- 1.6, or 1.8 cars.

None of the others will fit. (smaller engined cars dont have the cut out for the pipe)

There are plenty of cars about so sourcing even a used one shouldnt be a problem.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

How much are these going for these days? A few years ago I kissed a salt bin in fathers escort one icy morning many moons ago, and it still sports a rather large crack + exposed foam!

Reply to
Tom Burton

Are you sure this is not shared with the Mk6? They do look very similar.

Yes, you would think so, but I've been ringing the scrappies for the last few weeks regularly! The problem is they all seem confused over what they have and what it will fit, hence my post! There have only been one or two, and have been wrong when I visited. 'oh, sorry mate...I knew it was an Escort that's all!'. The ones on Ebay have all been miles away and again people don't seem clear about what it will fit. There is a guy selling Mk6's on Ebay with a pic that looks like what I want, but he has stated that the Mk6's will fit 'all escorts' so that dismisses any confidence as I know that isn't the case.

Surely someone knows what revisions were made?

Reply to
Brownie