Grrr! LHD trucks

K was taken out by a Polish truck doing a 450 degree turn from the left hand lane of a roundabout this week...

My 156 is a write off :(

Now begins the fun of chasing his insurers (via ours) for a settlement.

Car did its job very well - she walked away with just aches and pains. The side airbags had fired, which probably helped.

Going to need a replacement ASAP, as I don't want my Boxster used as a commuter car...

Looks like an Alfa 159 2.2JTS or Alfa GT is on the agenda, mostly because really nice, facelift 156s are almost impossible to find.

Reply to
SteveH

Had a similar experience 2 years ago. Going South to North on M25, I turned into Junc 14 and stopped in the middle lane at traffic light. I.e. I was stationary when it happened. A Jan-DeRik Articulated lorry pulled up in the inside. When the light turned yellow/green, the lorry started turning left, and rear part of the front carriage of the arty hit my nearsise rear door with an almighty loud bang. I was still waiting for the proper green, and therefore stationary when it happened! The lorry driver heard the bang, I indicated that he should follow me to the left road, which he did.

From the left road, I was surprised when I saw him in my rear mirror turning right into an industrial estate area. As I was already past that junction, I had to go up to the next roundabout and double back. Then I turned into the industrial area looking for the lorry. But it was nowhere to be seen! It was dark and most units had already closed. Anyway I looked around for a considerable time and asked some people there where this lorry could be. But nobody knew anything. After an hour I had to give up, the lorry was probably shielded in a garage sowhere. Dm'd Jan-DeRik. Bewarwe Jan-DeRik lorries.

Reply to
johannes

Here's a thought. Don't get yourself next to a wagon on a multi-lane r'a'b.

And, especially, don't try and turn across the bows of one before making certain it's also turning...

Reply to
Adrian

None of this applies, please read again.

  1. I drove up to red traffice light in the middle lane, with the intention to shoot across the J14 roundabout at next green.

  1. The lorry then came afterward in the inside lane and also waited for the lights.

  2. The lorry started turning while I was still stationary wating for proper green. I wasn't shooting across the lorry, why do you say that? I have great respect for lorries and often helps then out.

However, I could just imagine that if we had exchanged details, then it would me my word against his, and insurers would somehow attribute some partial blame to me, just like you did in your post. That would then have loaded my premium, although I had nothing to do with causing the accident.

Reply to
johannes

If it doesn't apply, then why get excited?

It certainly does apply to Mrs H's incident, by the sound and the pics.

Reply to
Adrian

Ahh ok then. Looking at the pics, I was also hit in the nearside rear door, but my then Saab 9000 then stood up considerable better to the hit. It was just left with a white (lorry paint) long dash along the door, evertyhing was still working OK. Athough it is difficult to compare exactly, but I expected a lot more when I heard the bang from inside the car.

Reply to
johannes

Whilst it's not a good idea to be in that place... you don't expect one to be pulling a 450 degree turn from the left lane.

I'll let the police and insurers decide who's to blame, though.

Reply to
SteveH

A friend has just had a vaguely similar incident while turning off a roundabout with a twin exit lane, a portuguese Audi A3 (2 weeks old) tried to drive through the side of my friend's Chrysler Voyager, the Audi lost big time, there was much shouting and exchange of details, the Audi then reversed quite quickly back onto the roundabout and was promptly run straight into by someone that could not imagine that a car might reverse onto a roundabout at speed. My friend is waiting to hear from their insurers about the minor wheel arch damage he suffered (plus the alloy wheel was scratched up). The Audi was probably a write off after a hit front and rear.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Don't get next to a wagon, - full stop. Like the one on the M62 who was pouring himself coffee from a flask.

My daughter had a Danish truck pull straight across in front of her, leaving her nowhere to go. Car written off, she nearly lost an eye, and had to have plastic surgery.

The driver appeared in court the same day, was fined, and went on his way.

Reply to
Gordon H

Or someone to be taking the exit from other than the left lane? Basically, a bit of a minefield.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

unless you have an escape route.

Would someone tell this to the cyclists, please? Especially in London.

Reply to
D A Stocks

I am sorry and sad to hear that a Danish lorry caused the accident. Possibly on the way from/to Harwich, using the Esbjerg-Harwich shipping route on DFDS, possibly carrying a MAERSK container?

Reply to
johannes

I'm afraid I don't know any details of the vehicle, maybe he had a long overnight haul to get to the West of Manchester around 8am and was tired?

He at least took charge of the situation in that when she was attempting to phone work to sort out the equipment she was carrying, he saw the injury, took her phone and called the emergency services.

Reply to
Gordon H