Halfords Oil Filter

There is an American website where a chap buys a huge variety of oil filters and chops them up on a bandsaw to compare the filter paper area, non return valves etc. There *are* noticable differences between OE supplied filters and copies, in terms of whether or not they have a non-return valve and in paper area. I very much doubt that if I and you both bought identical cars and ran them for the same mileages, one using OE filters and one using pattern, whether we'd be able to tell a difference. Mainly because there are just far too many variables involved, and because most cars get sold or die of body rot before the engine fails. You might find a bit of power loss on a dyno or a difference in the health of the engine on a strip down however...

Reply to
Doki

I've used Halfords oil filters mostly, occasionally Nissan ones if I'm passing the main dealer, for over 10yrs in 2 Nissan Primeras, about 150k mileage, with no problems, i.e. no performance loss or oil consumption, but I've only bothered to post because on a Primera you can tell how good the oil and filter are at startup as the cam chain is oil pressure tensioned. Basically, if the oil's rubbish new or worn out because it's too old, or the filter lets all the oil drain back to the sump each time the engine's switched off, you can hear the clattering at startup. 2 seconds of clattering is good, the longest I've heard is about 6 seconds due to oil or filter problems where it returns to 2 seconds after a Halfords/OEM filter & oil change. So, Halfords oil filters are good. Their petrol filters though are too restrictive, I never use them.

Reply to
Steve B

You'd have to try hard to find a filter without the non return vlave nowadays though. Funnily enough Ford don't make their own oil filters.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I don't think there are many people who think that car makers make all their own bits. Certainly VW and Mann oil filters are identical.

Reply to
Doki

The 'original' Saab oil filter with hologram seal "Don't accept anything but the original" has just GM on the box, suggesting it is being used on the entire GM fleet of cars. The filter itself reads "FGP - 55560202" and is made in Poland. It it proba ok and I don't care.

Reply to
johannes

In the same vein. Ford are one of the biggest, if not 'the' biggest manufacturer of fuel tank sender units in the world. Chances are that if you have a european car, it's sender unit will have been made and supplied by Ford. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G