Hammerite on engines

I am thinking of using gloss Hammerite on the rocker covers of my Rover V8. I am sure I read somewhere it might flake under the heat? Anyone else use Hammerite on their engine? I want something to brush on and set smooth, without leaving any brush marks. Sort of like the Caliper paint which costs an arm and a leg but gives a fantastic hard gloss finish. Anyone recommend a product?

Keep well,

Will

Reply to
Will

Yes, 'Amerite works better than heatproof paint, it also comes in spray form and should add another 10Bhp at least, as discussed earlier. :)

Beware, it's not good on brakes though, they get too hot I have found and catch fire :(

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

My 2.0 zetec in the kit car has the rocker cover, block and gearbox painted red hammerite. 13,000 hot miles later it's still as good as the day it went on.

If you can go for spray as the paint on leaves brush marks. The colour does tend to darken ever so slightly after a bit but not noticeable unless you saw before and after.

Is your rocker cover alu? I think the block is on those but not sure about the rocker cover, anyway you need to use special metals primer first on any alu, and obviously make sure everything is really clean and degreased first. I think I used parafin followed by hammerite degreaser. Oh don't go for red by the way unless you fancy doing about 6 coats, for some reason it does not cover as well as all the other colours.

Have some pictures of the finished item if you are itnerested.

HTH Matthew

Reply to
Matt Horn

The rocker covers on a Rover V-8 won't get that hot. Pretty well any decent paint will survive ok. You might have more problems getting one to stick to aluminium.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Matt Horn" wrote in news:cvb4bi$qv4$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Yes they are alu. I was going to de-grease with Jizer and just paint. I am glad you posted! I was planning to paint the rocker covers and inlet manifold / exposed metal black and use stainless bolts and hose clips. I have to take it all off again to fit new tappets and thought I may as well smarten the old girl up at as well this time! I will get some primer and spray Hammerite and give it a go! I am never very good with sprays!

Keep well,

Will

Reply to
Will

I've found that Halfrauds's acrylic spray paints are particularly good for coverage and adhesion to V8 rockers, if you take the time to key up the surface properly with something like 800grit wet/dry - and it's best to use the matching primer.

As they say in all good spray paint instructions, don't lay the paint down too quickly in the first few passes. You just need a dusting of the stuff to get grip, then wait 'till it blooms over (goes matt) before applying more paint. As the coats get thicker keep the wet front moving and you're likely to end up with a gloss finish that won't need cutting (and hence will stay thicker).

I'll not recommend Halfrauds for owt else though ;-)

DocDelete

Reply to
DocDelete

Black will be nice and easy and it will give it a nice glossy finish that you just don't get on new cars :-)

Doc's advise on how to spray sounds very good and is worth following. TBH though hammerite covers really easily and glosses up nicely, it's much easier than body work spraying. Just remember to do thin coats and leave it

20 minutes or so between coats, build it up slowly. When spraying do it in as clean and dust free environment as possible. Garages are ok but tend to be pretty dusty so hang any items up away from the floor (I did it in my dining room with plenty of news paper)

My finished results can be seen here

Matthew

Reply to
Matt Horn

"Matt Horn" wrote in news:cveqc7$eo6$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Nice clean engine bay! Looks very much like a factory engine bay and wiring I am impressed. The red looks good. I just had a stupid idea and may go gold to match the alloy wheels...

not sure gold will look right under the bonnet? :-) The plan is to get the bits off over the weekend and cleaned up ready for some painting in the kitchen over the week if I can do it without the wife spotting.

Keep well,

Will

Reply to
Will

Doesn't look the weather for open top motoring :)

The wife may notice gold overspray all over the kitchen floor and sides etc... - You must realise you are a dead man if you do this, and the wife will probably accept nothing less than a replacement kitchen.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Ta!

Green and gold will work, colour is a personal taste thing though so go with what you like! (Or do as I did and ask the girlfriend to pick the colour!) Is there a gold hammerite though?

Was having a look round your website, nice site :-) Notice your excel spreadsheet for wheel and tyre sizes - I've done an online calculator here if you need one -

Matthew

Reply to
Matt Horn

Yup

If you are paint ally, make sure you use the proper "special metals primer"

Incidentally ICI (Hammerite) Technical suggest that it can be used upto

80ºC... And NOT on radiators. I guess they mean central heating!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton