Haunted or dying power steering? (2003 Connect)

Hi All,

Daughters 2003 Transit Connect 1.8 diesel van (150k+ miles) has (according to her) either a haunted or dying power steering system, ;-)

I have actually heard it and she's right ... in that it actually sounds musical / haunted as you put it under various loads and whilst you mainly notice it when manoeuvring at slow speeds (and it's pretty loud), it's possibly happening all the time.

She's checked the PS fluid level and it's ok so whilst the PS seems to be working ok, we were wondering if this noise was something to be concerned about ('known fault / symptom' etc) and if we could do anything to make it quieter or prevent it from failing prematurely etc please?

The last noise she dealt with (as she changed it herself under supervision and help from the panel here) on the van was the alternator overrun coupling and that's still nice and quiet. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Most hydraulic power steering will groan if you get to the point where the pressure relief system cuts in. Most usually by holding it hard on full lock. If it's doing that with ordinary manoeuvering at slow speeds, could be excess friction in the steering somewhere? Does it seem perfectly normal otherwise?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Understood.

Unfortunately I'm not able to drive it myself (insurance) but from a bystander / passenger pov it seems to be when any real load is applied to the steering whilst parking (and well before full lock but worse at full lock, possibly to be expected etc) ... and whilst our daughter is fairly strong, she hasn't mentioned the steering being sticky or heavy etc?

She did mention how the steering ratio is different between the van and her Corsa. ;-)

I think it has been a bit like it since she bought it over a year ago and it may have quietened down a bit for a couple of days when she topped the fluid up once?

Could it simply / partially be down to the fluid being old and has lost most / some of it's lubricative properties?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

when it moans with no steering input you know it is in real trouble, but first: have you checked the drive belt? try giving it a spray of water or belt spray and see if the noise disappears

Reply to
MrCheerful

Understood.

Not yet .... but FWIW it was replaced when we did the alternator overrun pulley.

Ok, will do.

I'll also try to make a recording of it as I find that often helps (in the same way as 'a picture speaks 1000 words' etc). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m