HDI Remaps

Does anyone know of a cheap place to get a 2.0 110HDI remapped to ~138BHP for a sensible price?, i.e. not the ~£180 quid most people seem to want.

Reply to
ToxOgrady

£180 to me is good value!?

(just spent £470 on a remap on a Leon 170 TDI- now at 200bhp and 420lb ft, vroooooooooom)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

"Tim \(remove obvious\)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

You wuz robbed !!!! :-) (obviously)

Reply to
Tunku

I welcome more experienced views but all I thought a remap was....was plugging in a laptop into the ODBII port and reflashing the ECU rom with a predermined map. All the other tosh about testing on a rolling road is just guilt to give you a piece of paper with a few curves on it.

If I only had a) the software , b) the ODB cable & c) a laptop I'd have a crack myself.

I've successfully brought an MP3 player back to life after it get left in my coat in the washing machine. If reflashed the rom in that.....does that count?????

Reply to
ToxOgrady

"ToxOgrady" wrote in news:ey76h.36331$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

Nope, just makes you a pirate !!!

Reply to
Tunku

This must be why some near new TDis can make as much smoke as the very worst truck or bus I've ever seen while others don't. They have set the maps to not make so much smoke, your re-map for power makes lots of smoke. You are installing a map that makes your car one of the most noxious things on the roads.

Soon to be introduced Euro V visible smoke regs will require one these expensive to maintain things.

is set to introduce regulations that filters are retrofitted to all Diesels. With any luck even though Europe is so much inlove with TDis, Euro VI will ban them. When you re map a filtered Diesel be prepared to service the filter a lot more often. I have to suspect that as Peugot have started fitting these that the new one I saw making lots of smoke last week has been chipped and the fliter core removed.

Peter Hill

Get it done properly, don't forget you're not just paying for the code, you're paying for a warranty.

Reply to
DervMan

It's one of the reasons. Some diesel just soot more, almost certainly because of the way they're driven. When I drive my 9-3 TiD gingerly for a couple of weeks then give it a boot, it leaves people in my wake looking through a murky haze. It'll soot like a good 'un for a wee while then it's sootless (thus the fun in booting it evaporates and we go back to being careful for another fortnight).

I predict that this won't happen. Shoot, "they" reckoned that diesels wouldn't reach Euro IV emissions until long after they did, heh.

Maybe.

Reply to
DervMan

And then forever through the increased insurance premiums for a 'modified engine'?

David Hearn

No, not for a modified engine, for a modified ECU, ECU code, or fuelling adjuster.

Reply to
DervMan

If the source is trustworthy then the warranty should not be required. I'm sure if the head blew off a week after nobody would take on the repair anyway.

Re the reply posts on smoke , yeah I seen a lot of brand new VW Audi's smoking but just thought it was the tight tolerances on the engines. A few bloke at work have A3 2.0 TDI's that sup a lot of oil. My Xsara HDI is just easing in at 4 year old and 110000 miles, not an ounze of smoke or oil consumption. Its pretty quick in standard 110HP form, but if I can get it remapped on the cheap it would really fly as its only 1200kilos weight.

Reply to
ToxOgrady

Do they charge differently (i.e. less) for that?

I thought it was more black and white - either they won't touch *any* modifications (I've been turned down for OEM alloys but not original specced on the car..) or anything goes as long as they are notified...

Reply to
PC Paul

It's somewhere between the two in my experience. With Kermy, I tried a lot of companies 'cos he had a lot of modifications when you list them. Some weren't bothered by some aspects but were mortified about something that one may consider to be just a notification for them, if you see what I mean.

For the Superchips code or ECU dongle, some companies loaded regardless of the impact, others wanted to know the claimed improvement (if it was inside

5% they didn't change the premium, just wanted to know about it) and some went white, shook a little and hung up on me. :)
Reply to
DervMan

Isn't that always the case, though?

Hmm... maybe. When Superchips ECU fried my ex-bosses Range Rover diesel, they paid for the repairs, no problems.

Is it really worth it?

Reply to
DervMan

For £50 dabs , yeah!! , for £180...hhmmm.. , for £400+ ....nahh!!

Xsara's are drab looking small family shopping cars that never turn heads. Thats why I like mine though.... it regularly outdrags Mini Coopers on the M621 climb out of Leeds. A remap might help it outdrag a few Cooper 'S's as well

Reply to
ToxOgrady

"DervMan" wrote in news:4559850a$0$23307$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

That explains something that's been puzzling me about my ZX 1.9D. If I go to full enonomy mode for the week before I get paid, then fill the tank when my cheque comes in, I generally boot it, and get a wad of smoke for a while. You can always tell when I've just been paid by the amount of soot I produce. Could this be a new theory for smoky diesels? :-)

Reply to
Tunku

When you drive gently, soot biulds up in the top end, and particularly in the exhaust. When you boot it hard all this is dislodged and comes out the back end. It is a recognised thing to boot a diesel hard in second for 20 seconds or so before your MOT smoke test. Far better chance of passing. If you don't all that soot will come out into the test meter.

Reply to
Brian

My point is that you tend to get what you pay for. I'm sure anybody with half a clue and the necessary equipment could remap an ECU, but, would you want them to?

Not if they're driven properly, it doesn't...

Reply to
DervMan

Not quite. The more experienced will tell you that thats the proper method. It takes a lot more than just firing a new map into it to make sure its happy. Every engine is different, every engine requires slightly different timing/fuelling at different loads/revs and a "load in" map is just a fairly good approximation at better. If you only want a slight increase then fine, stick with that. If you want a reliable and decent increase for your money you want a live map on a RR.

I'm doing this myself on my petrol car (live remap with no RR). Trust me, its NOT as easy as you seem to thing and i have a fairly extensive experience in car work - if you think its as easy as "nip a bit out of there, add a bit in there" you're mistaken. Its an art, and it takes a lot of practice and that takes a lot of fuel lol.

Yeah, you understand how to use the most basic (and foolproof) rom flashing setup. If you were just going to drop in an approximate map you'd probably blag it off that knowledge, and a bit of wiring.

The problem is you cant see the damage you accumulate from a bad map until its too late and cost you a lot more than =A3180!

Coyoteboy

Youre right to some extent, but if you go for a live remap and it doesnt feel quite right afterwards or has a glitch you can take it back and argue it. If you get a load-in map they'll just argue its fine and works on everyone elses, live with it.

Swings and roundabouts - you want to do it cheaply you take the risk of it going wrong. Do it properly and you dont. Cheap and Quality are mutually exclusive.

Reply to
Coyoteboy