Heater blower motor

My old 2005 Nissan Micra, sold to a bloke down the street maybe 12 months ago. 57k on the clock and regularly serviced. He told me a couple of weeks ago that the heater blower motor had stopped
working. But today it worked and sounded fine! He did not drive it. He is taking it for service, blower motor and MoT early next month, this to the garage that I've always used. The guy in the garage is great, but I have a slight feeling that he may not know where the blower motor and the resister card is. Anybody got any tips about their location and why the motor just decided to work?
On 30/12/2018 12:55, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

On many cars if the thermal fuse in the blower motor resistor pack has failed the highest speed blower may/will still work. On the highest speed the motor will be directly across 12v whereas on the lower speeds in series with one or more resistors AND the thermal fuse.
Instructions for replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wpRwF6ONVE

The tile says switch but he actually replaces the resistor module.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

alan_m wrote:

I saw him this morning and will pass your info on. Looks like a right carry on. He said that the blower is still working on all speeds. Intermittent fault?
On 31/12/2018 12:39, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

It may be simple as the spade electrical terminal on the back of the switch however more likely on older Vauxhalls.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

alan_m wrote:

I'll pass this on to him. Thanks.
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 15:11:02 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"

In the case of daughters Corsa it (the intermittent blower motor) was worn brushes hanging up on the comm itself, but at nearly double the mileage you mention.
Easily proven in this case by applying a live and earth to the motor connector directly and hearing the motor spin briefly and then stop.
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

I'll pass this on to him. He is not made of money and it would seem that a new motor is a couple of hundred quid - plus labour.
Thanks.
On Tue, 1 Jan 2019 12:51:42 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"

You are both welcome..
OOI, I saw a new Corsa blower motor on eBay, also for around £200 but there were plenty s/h for much less.
If going for s/h I think the donor vehicle mileage could be important here as I assume most people have the fan on all the time, be it blowing hot or cold?
Cheers, T i m

but

It may be worth getting some numbers off the old one first as I found the Peugeot Bippa blower motor was available as a vauxhall part for £47 quid, less than half the peugeot part.
AJH
AJH wrote:

Whilst I was walking my savage Westie I spoke to him. His/my recommended garage phoned him today and told him that both parts are available on the day of service for less that ?100 the pair. Seems that the garage took the time and trouble to phone around. Not bad is that.
On 31/12/2018 23:29, T i m wrote:

That assumes the brushes are making contact with the armature when testing. Sometimes a knock or gentle spin by hand will result in contact and likely arcing.
eBay is also a source of plain basic brushes of various sizes for 12 motors for a few ££. If you're adept with a soldering iron its not rocket science to replace the brushes with generic ones.
Fredxx wrote:

Thanks for that. But, he is an old man. So am I.
On 03/01/2019 17:45, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Do you have a caliper or accurate means of measurement?
Do you or your friend have access to a decent soldering iron?
If yes to both it is a simple matter of cutting pig-tails and soldering new to old.
Where there's a will there's a way. Any excuse is laziness.
Fredxx wrote:

No

Mine is ancient and is like a poker.

The guy has trouble even walking. The card with the resister on it is behind the glove box which needs to be removed for access.
Seems that his garage rang him and said that the price for both parts is less than ?100.

For daughters Corsa they need to be 7.63 x 6.21 x (probably) ~12 mm and with the brush braid coming out the end and over to one side.

The original were crimped on with a small brass ferrule but no reason they wouldn't solder.
The bigger issue in this case was the com was so worn that I wasn't sure if it wasn't down to the insulator so if it would even last the amount of brush I had managed to reveal. ;-(
Cheers, T i m

Site Timeline