Disposing of an old motor scooter.

My daughter SORN'ed her old motor scooter ages ago. It's sitting rusting in my garden. I can reduce it to bits small enough to put in the car and take to the municipal dump. Is that okay, or does it have to get disposed of in some official way, so it can be taken off the DVLA database?

Reply to
GB

stick it on ebay and someone will buy it and collect it.

Reply to
MrCheerful

No put it on ebay 0.99p start price and someone will take may even be useful to someone

-
Reply to
Mark

Yes - they're much easier to collect than a non runner car. It doesn't cost you anything to put it on Ebay, (or even FreeCycle) if you just want rid, so even if it only sells for pennies, you don't have the effort of disposing of it.

On Ebay, if the payment is by Paypal, you'll get the registered address of the buyer which you can pass on to the DVLA.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks. I'll try that first.

Interestingly, even if you take the machine to an authorised breaker, you don't get a certificate of destruction if it's only a scooter. So, how you are supposed to prove anything to the DVLA is beyond me.

Reply to
GB

With cars, the scrap place is in direct contact with DVLA and the registration number is taken off DVLA within a day, you don't even need the log book.

Reply to
MrCheerful

What is it ooi?

I ask as an ex Lambretta and current Yamaha YP250 (Majesty) rider?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Honda SCV 100 F-5.

To be collected from North London, please.

Reply to
GB

Ah, 'Honda Lead'? Was it running the last time she used it OOI?

FWIW, a dead engine may not be an issue as I was wondering about an electric conversion.

Ok, that's very doable.

Email works if you want to tell me more offline. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Don't you simply put them (the breaker) as the new owner? After that, they need to account for it.

Years ago, 2001/2, we had a car written off. The insurance company of the other driver settled direct (after some fuss over value) and agreed to have it collected from our drive (it was drivable, a bit doubtful due to a broken mirror legally). As I recall, the breakers, told us to fill in their details etc, leave the 'log book' under the seat and keys in the exhaust. When I got home from work, we had the signed paperwork we needed through the letter box. I've always assumed they took it ;-) Then, as I joked to the salesman when we bought it, we wanted something unattractive to thieves (it was replacing a stolen car). He replied "No one nicks Fiat Pandas." It was a good selling point and my wife loved her Panda.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Purely out of interest, I'd like to know how you get on with the conversion.

While my days of riding motorcycles are behind me (I like my comfort but I do hold a full m/c licence), I am intrigued by these electric scooters. I can't see 'Senior Management' allowing one....

Reply to
Brian Reay

Ok. I was intrigued by the practical approach of this guy:

And I'm not really in a position to do such either right now so we will see how it pans out. I hope it goes to a local bike shop who, if the engine still runs and they are able to rebuild it and sell it for any profit, will give GB (or his daughter) summat. If the engine / transmission is shot I might have a look at it re electric conversion whilst it's over there.

I some ways a small motorbike might be better for me to convert to electric because you just remove the engine and already have a simple chain drive.

Ironically I still have all the bits to do such on an electric 'motorbike' on one I built (and raced) over 35 years ago.

I think it might be easier regswise to convert a production road frame to electric than starting from scratch.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I don't know. I've been following some posts elsewhere about electric scooters. As far as I can follow, these can be ridden without a licence etc so, I ASSUME (note ASSUME) they aren't required to be registered etc, pay any kind of 'road tax', be MOT's .... They are more like the small petrol scooters than electrically assisted bikes. I've never seen one in the UK, the ones I've seen in Europe are like an oversized stand on scooter (the kind kids pushed with one foot), but with a thick base (I assume where the batteries and motor(s) are), and a seat. They are common on campsites etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay

The regs will depend on speed and power.

Electric bicycle, the motor can only assist up to 15.5 mph (25 Km/h) and is power limited to 250 watts. Note the word "assist", it has to stop supplying power to the motor if you stop pedaling.

There is some stuff on the web about introduction of e-bikes with higher power and speeds but in UK I think these will be reg and under same laws as 30 mph mopeds.

If it exceeds the spec for electric bike or lacks pedals or moves without pedaling then it's a motor bike and must be reg, taxed and insured as such.

Some may fall into the same category as class 2 mobility scooters with a max speed of 4 mph. Up to 8 mph on road is class 3 and must be registered and taxed and insured. If goes faster than that it's an electric CAR.

Peter Hill

Not legal to use in any public place, liable to be seized and crushed. They come under the same area as mini motos, ie unregistered, illegal motor vehicles.

Actual e-bikes may be ridden unlicenced, unregistered, uninsured etc, but must meet the power limits etc. DVLA have a page on it, even the average Police officers are hazy about it.

Reply to
MrCheerful

MrCheerful

Not that liable. On a recent visit to London there were large numbers of folks riding electric scooters and all manner of electrified devices in the streets, cycle lanes and pavements, seemingly with total impunity.

I don?t doubt that, but the police in London seem to have decided that they have better things to do.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On 03/01/2019 07:37, Tim+ wrote: /

then there is no point having any laws about it, lets have anarchy.

Reply to
MrCheerful

While I (obviously) don't agree with that (anymore than I'm sure you do), the fact is the authorities simply do tend to overlook all too many cases where people do ignore laws intended to protect us from those who are, at best, irresponsible.

Even worse, some laws actually protect those who have broken the law from receiving the punishment they deserve! (Eg the person who is currently on the run having been found guilty and been sentenced following the death of a young women.)

Reply to
Brian Reay