Help

Hi all,

Sometimes when I start my six months old Punto 1.2 Active in the morning, I can hear a rattle when I turn the engine on. It lasts for a split second. It only does it when the car has been stationary a few hours any idea what it could be? Maybe just air in the engine or something more serious?

thanks

Reply to
Max

the morning, I

been

something more

Most likely the hydraulic tappets if it has them. Oil can drain out of them overnight, meaning the valve clearance is greater than it should be until they fill up again as soon as the engine starts. If that is the cause, it's quite common and is nothing to worry about. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Oil levels in the car seem all right.

Reply to
Max Usai

The oil levels may be OK but that doesn't mean that it hasn't drained away from the tappets. It's also possible that the big ends and/or the mains are knocking for a short time. This can happen if the oil filter is of the type which permits the oil to drain back when stationary. One would hope that the correct Punto filter prevents this but do you have the correc type?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

Well it's a new car. Should I take it back to the dealer for a check?

Reply to
Max Usai

Reply to
Ivor Problem

I guess so. It would be worth having them tell you that it's only an oil filter problem, or sort it out if it's more than that.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham