help dave baker

Can you settle a discussion if you can. When shimming a L.S.D. to increase the torque setting should the shim be placed a) between the end cover and the dished plate b) between the splined plate and the flat star plate c) it does not matter

Also is it common to see the crown wheel to carrier bolts working slack as i have come across this twice recently.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Gary Millar

Not a clue. Not my area of expertise.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

The message from snipped-for-privacy@aol.comma (Dave Baker) contains these words:

That's why he wants to help Dave Baker!

Reply to
Guy King

do you want to make it tighter or looser? the closer together it all is the more quickly it will lock up and no, the crownwheel bolts shouldn't be loose

Reply to
dojj

Reply to
Gary Millar

I'm assuming you are dealing with a plate type lsd yes? then you make the plates closer so they lock up quicker so if you imagine the diff being looked at with the crownwheel on the left (everytime I see a diff this is where they are so.....) you would just shim it so that the plates sat closer together by putting the side closest to the crownwheel further away or vice versa because the plates are closer but the crownwheel is still in the same place and thus won't lead to premature wear because it's sitting in the wrong place

Reply to
dojj

Reply to
Gary Millar

if I'm reading this right, I would suggest the shim went in as close to the crown wheel as possible but this might mean that the whole thing might be shifted across and there may not be enough space to refit it all again

Reply to
dojj