Drainholes Required :-(

I've got water in both sills of my 1994 Nissan Primera. Has anybody found any drain holes? I found two jack up points, but poking around is very tricky.

Any ideas what I can do? Any ideas where the drain holes are, or if indeed there should actually be any drain holes? My carpets are soaking! :-(

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

The message from Simon Dean contains these words:

You sure that's from the sills flooding? I'd imagine it's more likely from the sunroof (if you've got one) or the windscreen (you should have one of these!) seal failing.

Reply to
Guy King

Definately, the water is in the sills, you can hear it sloshing about, and if I brake suddenly, the water slooshes up to the front and rushes out onto the carpet.

Plus if I take the trim off the inside of the door, on top of the sill, I forget what they call it, you can see the water inside the sill!

I do have a sunroof, and a windscreen, but its not wet around either of those.

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

have you checked for holes at the front and back ends sills box sections to make sure that water from the wheels isnt getting in to the sills that way . When you say that you can see water inside the sills I presume you mean when you take off the plate protecting the sill that you can see when you open the doors . Are there holes there ??? --Is that behind the carpet ??? Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

On many cars the sunroof stupidly drains into the sills, sits there for a while then makes its way out of small pressed openings in the lower welded flange. if its a sliding roof it will have a drain in each corner with plastic tubes running down the windscreen and rear pillars and into the sill cavity. It always makes me wonder why car makers dont run the drain pipes behind a wheel arch liner or somewhere similar, but no they let the water drain directly into the sills, causing rust and if the lower drains are blocked water leaking into the car.

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

Yup. There are no holes there, but if there were, I'd imagine the water could get out :-)

Yes, that's the bit Im talking about, there are holes directly on top of the sill under the protective covering, that I can look down and see the water. I think there are some holes in the side of the sill behind the carpet. The passenger side has been taped up, that's why I think the water floods up to the front on the passenger side and leaks in that way from the sill, whereas on the driver side, the water just leaks in continuously. There are no other obvious signs of leakage.

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

The message from "Jimbo" contains these words:

Unless it were a Clio, which rather neatly do without the tubes, preferring to leave the water to build up till it overwhelms the seals and rains on you.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Simon Dean contains these words:

Right. Get underneath and along the seam which joins the bottom edge of the sill to the floorpan (or the return panel which hangs down from the pan) will be areas where the seam bulges. They're the drains. Use something no too hard, like a lolly stick (don't want to scratch the paint/sealant) and poke 'em till your arm gets wet.

Reply to
Guy King

Coffee over the keyboard. :-)

My dad's suggesting we drill holes - but I'd rather clear out the current holes rather than creating new rust points. Taking a look from the outside, not really going under the car, I see the jack up points, located on a seam and the jack up points have a gap between them, which made me think they might be the drain holes too.

I can stick something up there, but because what I use is fairly rigid, it goes so far then stops. Perhaps I could get the inner core of some coax wire up there.

I'll try having a scoot under the car though.

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

The message from Simon Dean contains these words:

You're more likely to see them on the inside edge of the bottom of the sill.

Reply to
Guy King

I've noticed both my citroen and saab have proper drain tubes, but Ford used to cheap out and drain into the sill....

Reply to
Chris

YAAAY! I found it. Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. Now if only I get get those juices flowing a little more.

Cheers Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

Reply to
jeremy

Do you take PayPal?

How much for packing?

Cya Simon

Reply to
Simon Dean

The message from Simon Dean contains these words:

Is that holesale?

Reply to
Guy King

That's just money down the drain if you ask me

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo